Help me get my father in law his dream saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm both 62 and the owner of both saws being considered-and both are great saws. Don't have any health issues and run the 372XP all the time without noticing the weight. Without knocking the MS361, if I could only have one saw it would be the 372XP (or its twin Jred 2171).

Talk your mother in law into buying both and you can help him cut.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for all the great advice - MS361 is is! I will let you know how he reacts.

Now, what should we pay for this saw with a 20" bar? Local dealers are showing MSRP at $610.

MS361 or Jonsered

Don't forget to look at the Jonsereds. Often you can get a better price on a CS2153 (346xp) or a CS2171 (372xp) than what you can find for a Husqvarna, and if pops has been running an older saw he may like the straighter handlebar of the Jonsered better. My vote would be for a CS2153, fast, smooth, light, easy to start. I own both Jred models and use the CS2153 about 4 times as much as the CS2171.

OK, thanks for all the great advice - MS361 is is! I will let you know how he reacts.

Now, what should we pay for this saw with a 20" bar? Local dealers are showing MSRP at $610.

Don't expect much better, they don't budge much. My 361 -18" was $599 list (paid $589) last week. Would have been $609 ($599) for the 361-20. I opted for the 18". Mostly bucking for me and the 18" balanced better. They threw in one extra RSC chain.

The 361 is probably the more practical choice. What about throwing the 359 Husky into the mix too? I sure wish the 357xp was available at the dealership. Like I said, any of these will be a major step up from what he is using now. So, given the circumstances, do you all think the 372 would just be a bit too heavy?

My 2 cents if you dont mind, I have a 359 and a 372 and there isnt that much difference in felt weight between them, yes I think the 372 will be a tad heavy and the 359 not as zippy as the 357 or 361.

With that said a 30 cc jump to a pro style saw would be huge all by itself. My vote would be 357 or 361. btw I wish my sil was worried about what saw I wanted hehehe good job! hth

Kansas

Make sure to check which chain is already on the saw. The 361's at the two dealers near me have green-link safety chains (RMC3). Have the dealer swap the chain for a yellow RSC chain. If you're paying MSRP, see if they're offering other "holiday" goodies w/purchase (extra chain, carry case, filing kit, mix oil, etc).

Back