Help me ID this "Franken Red" Plz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z50guru

errr..
Reaction score
Picked up this healthy Jred today for cheap. From the tag, i know its a 630 SN-6181457. What i dont know is approx. what year and type? 630, 630super,super II, westcoast? I know some made more HP, used dual ignitions/single ignitions, and some 630's were just plain better to have based on internals, Bigger carbs, an EPA regs an such.. This one features a 670 champ recoil assy, an opposite a mystery husky chain brake slightly slashed to fit :msp_thumbup:. Im super happy w/ the P/C condition looks great. So looking at the pictures, maybe some J-Red guru's could chime in an tell me if i scored with this one... Have i landed a factory "baddass" J-red, or a run of the mill EPA neutered unit? Thanks All!

JRed630001_zps7bd68e36.jpg

JRed630002_zps2f899d7c.jpg

JRed630003_zps4fd439bd.jpg

JRed630004_zps475e6060.jpg

JRed630005_zpsef5517cc.jpg

JRed630008_zpsa1b2a859.jpg

JRed630009_zps67909f5e.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the two-pc ign, but I could be wrong. It's been awhile. If it has good comp and no air leaks, about all I'd do is maybe replace the fuel line. Someone here can probably ID that jug and carb, but even if it's not one of the 'good ones' they're still Plenty Good.

One of my favorite saw designs.

Is that serial number tag "silver" or is it black? It should be "silver" if it also say "630" on it, meaning 1986 - but you never know....

Anyway, there are so many possible combinations of parts in that model "family" that it is more or less impossible to guess what any "frankensaw" really is - without inspecting it closely.

Last edited:
Funny orange clutch cover...:D

Some Husky parts fit this series. 670 is a good saw BTW.

Is that serial number tag "silver" or is it black? It should be "silver" if it also say "630" on it, meaning 1986 - but you never know....

Anyway, there are so many possible combinations of parts in that model "family" that it is more or less impossible to guess what any "frankensaw" really is - without inspecting it closely.

Yes STroll, it is a silver tag w/the 630 stamped on. Safe to say its an earlier and more desirable 630 making the higher HP over the following versions? Also, anyone wanting to trade a 670 recoil assy for a correct 630 assy, i'd be interested :msp_smile:

Yes STroll, it is a silver tag w/the 630 stamped on. Safe to say its an earlier and more desirable 630 making the higher HP over the following versions? Also, anyone wanting to trade a 670 recoil assy for a correct 630 assy, i'd be interested :msp_smile:

Actually it is the other way around, the later Super and Super II ones are stronger, if everything except the covers are original.....

Funny orange clutch cover...:D

Some Husky parts fit this series. 670 is a good saw BTW.

Those Jonsered saws were the first ones that were made by Husky, and the 630 was based on the Husky 162se.

They still made the red version, long after the orange one was discontinued.

Last edited:
Actually it is the other way around, the later Super and Super II ones are stronger, if everything except the covers are original.....
Im confused SawTroll :msp_confused: Are you saying this saw is a later model super or super II? Assuming the covers are the only items unoriginal to the saw? Any particular identifying stamps or other to indicate where the saw fits into this big family? Thanks again for your input :popcorn:
PS. Stamped on the top of the cylinder are the numbers 0-over-2 (C) 6-over-10 (BF)
The carb # is 8225A610

Your saw is an early Super. The Super II were the top performers of the family.
But they are all very close, and very good 60cc class saws.

taplinhill, i appreciate your information :msp_thumbsup:
Now that i know what ive got, i'll begin sourcing parts to replace the covers correct like. Thanks again! REP

Your saw is an early Super. The Super II were the top performers of the family.
But they are all very close, and very good 60cc class saws.

You are usually right Eric.....but are you sure that's a Super? I'm leaning towards a regular thin ring 630... '86 vintage.....

Hard to tell about the carb from that pic...the number says it's a 225 carb...that's good....the larger carb..

The chainbrake is a late (for this family) altered Husky chainbrake.

As Niko said the later ones are the strongest with the Super II being the best to have..

Any good running 630 is a good thing though...very fun family to dabble in...mix and match...make power....

Im confused SawTroll :msp_confused: Are you saying this saw is a later model super or super II? Assuming the covers are the only items unoriginal to the saw? Any particular identifying stamps or other to indicate where the saw fits into this big family? Thanks again for your input :popcorn:
PS. Stamped on the top of the cylinder are the numbers 0-over-2 (C) 6-over-10 (BF)
The carb # is 8225A610

It is too old to be a Super II, and I leave the rest of that discussion to the true experts.

Newer is better with those saws.

Those numbers don't tell me anything, but they may to others?

Last edited:
You are usually right Eric.....but are you sure that's a Super? I'm leaning towards a regular thin ring 630... '86 vintage.....

The thing to remember about the 630 Super is that the name arrived before the 670 Super, meaning when the 670 first came out it was being sold along side the 630 Super. The earliest 630 super I've seen is a late 1985 model. And then many small changes were made to the Super's, before they became the SuperII's.

The other thing is, for the parts he's looking for, it's a pre '91 and all this doesn't really matter :)

The thing to remember about the 630 Super is that the name arrived before the 670 Super, meaning when the 670 first came out it was being sold along side the 630 Super. The earliest 630 super I've seen is a late 1985 model. And then many small changes were made to the Super's, before they became the SuperII's.

The other thing is, for the parts he's looking for, it's a pre '91 and all this doesn't really matter :)

Yes but did the 630 not start production as simply the "630"? and later the "630 Super" was introduced and finally the "630 Super II" I was under the impression that the early thin ring versions were either just called "630" or perhaps "630V" and they changed the name to "Super" when they went to a single 1.5mm ring....I have had several early thin ring 630s that were not designated Supers...I have, as well as a thin ring 1985 630V (also Non-Super) that is in very good original condition......I also have a 91 630 Super that is avery nice saw as well....just wondering when they went to calling them Supers and did they sell a regular 630 at the same time as the 630 Supers or are they on a different progressive timeline??

As far as parts go they are all pretty much the same.... different recoil and clutch cover stickers....for the whole family....630 recoil stickers are all the same until the SuperII...clutch cover stickers varied some as well as metal brake handles through the yrs..again until the SuperIIs

Yes but did the 630 not start production as simply the "630"? and later the "630 Super" was introduced and finally the "630 Super II"? ....

Yes, and it was the same with the 630, as I remember it.

Btw, 670 "Champ" was just another name on the 670 Super II, after some consecutive wins in the WLC Championships....

According to the 1987 IPL for the 630, both 630 and 630 Super decals were available, but they only show a 2 ring piston.

Hmmmm.....can you tell from the part #s if those were thin rings or regular 1.5mms?? I don't know exactly when they stopped the thin rings thing. I know Meteor offers both a single ring piston for the 630 and also a 2 ring piston as well (regular 1.5 rings not thin rings). Can you tell from that ipl if there were any other differences between the 630 and 630 Super in 87??...different carb #s maybe? I have seen some 630s with the 118 carb and others with the 225A......the 118 being a much smaller bore....

The 1987-06 IPL lists only the HS225 - but remember that IPLs are about replacement parts, not about what parts originally were in the saws.....

Last edited:
Back