Jonsered 630

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoopermike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So its one of those sundays that you can consider a lazy day ( yesterday). I had a fellow drive up and knock on the door, said he has some chainsaws to get rid of he was cleaning out his garage and didnt want to deal with them anymore. I said sure id take a look at em and see if I want em. I was interested till I saw that they were all Jonsereds ( 4 630's) 2 complete 1 3/4 there missing a few covers and the 4th was mostly in pieces. He asked me how much id give for em, I said well I do collect chainsaws but not really a jonsered guy ( he understood whe nI showed him my wall of husqvarnas and homeltes) and I know that jonsereds and huskys are made in the same fastory but ya know .. some things just DONT cross over parts wise. well to make a long story short I now have 4 j reds in my inventory AND a huge box of spare parts new in the bags! plus a few stihl parts which I shunned and agreed to set fire! :D and a few mysterious orange parts lingering about (husky) which is a bit plus in my eyesnow even though im not a j red fan the deal was well worth it. I dun wanna make anyone jealous but I paid 60 bucks for the lot :D Now after ive said my back ground can anyone tel me about these red deamons? whats the diff between the 630 and 630 super? any husky stuff cross over. I wanna say there between a 61 and a 266 but not quite sure. I also see I need to edit my tag as I have picked up a mall and a few other assorted saws :D

Use them for back ups when your Huskys break. I'm sure the J-Reds will pay fore themselves many times over that way.

My 630 was used for milling and heavy firewood use plus odd land clearing up until this year, and itstill runs great. There solid saws like Stihl and the older Huskys.

I cant say on parts cross over, as far as I know apart from them both coming from Swedan.

The 630 supers are some of the strongest 60cc saw around. Like you noticed, in the husky 61-266 family.

The 630's have the same bore as a husky 61 (48mm) and they do interchange. Same basic crankcase with minor differences depending on the year they were made. The 630's are closed port cylinders while 90% of the 61's are open ports. 630's are a major plus for making more power 4.3 hp stock. Excellent firewood saw and better looking than the huskys. Ha Ha! If you like the huskys you will like the jonsereds also. same thing but in black and red. Rick!

The 630's have the same bore as a husky 61 (48mm) and they do interchange. Same basic crankcase with minor differences depending on the year they were made. The 630's are closed port cylinders while 90% of the 61's are open ports. 630's are a major plus for making more power 4.3 hp stock. Excellent firewood saw and better looking than the huskys. Ha Ha! If you like the huskys you will like the jonsereds also. same thing but in black and red. Rick!

The 630's are a 3 HP saw if they were the supers they would be the 4.3 hp. and the 61's are pushing 4.1hp and the 61 rancher is 3.6 hp and the standard 630's are 3.1 err go id be going backwards putting a 630 top end on my 61's. all info came from acres internet!
Id also have to disagree about the jreds being better looking, there is a reason my shelves are colored with orange :) I have to build more shelves for the rest but heres a few of em :)
003-4.jpg

Last edited:
I see a Dolmar on those shelves so another couple red saws can't hurt. I just seen a non-running 630 myself on CL and seeing how I don't have a J-red was considering it. Your deal was one helluva lot better than what I'm thinkin...this is for one saw (not running) for 60. Thinkin I'm going to pass.

The 630's are a 3 HP saw if they were the supers they would be the 4.3 hp. and the 61's are pushing 4.1hp and the 61 rancher is 3.6 hp and the standard 630's are 3.1 err go id be going backwards putting a 630 top end on my 61's. all info came from acres internet!
Id also have to disagree about the jreds being better looking, there is a reason my shelves are colored with orange :) I have to build more shelves for the rest but heres a few of em :)

Yeah, those HP numbers are off. A 630 will outcut a 61 anyday of the week especially in softwood. The Jonsered 625 was more comparable to the Husky 61. There is a reason that I have 3 630's, they just rock. The older 630's with the larger Tillotson are especially hot.

:cheers:

Yeah, those HP numbers are off. A 630 will outcut a 61 anyday of the week especially in softwood. The Jonsered 625 was more comparable to the Husky 61. There is a reason that I have 3 630's, they just rock. The older 630's with the larger Tillotson are especially hot.

Like I said I was going solely on acres net stats. yes mine have the tillotson carbs as well. I had to pry the rings from the pistons as they were melted in to the piston itself and the 2 ive rebuilt with bad (re used piston) are STRONG runners.

I see a Dolmar on those shelves so another couple red saws can't hurt. I just seen a non-running 630 myself on CL and seeing how I don't have a J-red was considering it. Your deal was one helluva lot better than what I'm thinkin...this is for one saw (not running) for 60. Thinkin I'm going to pass.

The dolmar is sun faded so to me.. its orange XD.. id still go for the 60 on that 1 saw, who knows whats wrong with it. It could be something simple and they are a fairly easy saw to work on! .. my Jred bias comes from the newer saws ( yes I have one sitting on the shelf). The newer ones have a straight handle and "flag" ( huskys are at an angle) that comes back and bust up my knuckles when I try to start the darn things, you have to pull the start handle out of the way to adjust the carb/idle settings and they use alan screws for the side cover(which is a PITA trying to get the lower front screw out when its RIGHT next to the handle) rather than flat head screws, other than that there a good saw!

Last edited:

The 630 was based on the Husky 162se.

:agree2:

Like I said I was going solely on acres net stats. yes mine have the tillotson carbs as well. I had to pry the rings from the pistons as they were melted in to the piston itself and the 2 ive rebuilt with bad (re used piston) are STRONG runners.

It is a misprint on Acres site - it is 3.1kW (usually translates into 4.2hp), not 3.1hp.

the 630 is a good saw for what it is. nothing spectacular but pretty good. here's mine:
25i56c9.jpg

70gcnl.jpg

thin ring version, 185psi.
runs strong. they are a good firewood saw. unless your a troll with stick arms:hmm3grin2orange:

the 630 is a good saw for what it is. nothing spectacular but pretty good. here's mine:
25i56c9.jpg

70gcnl.jpg

runs strong. they are a good firewood saw. unless your a troll with stick arms:hmm3grin2orange:

Looks identical to the 4 I have. thin ring?? I know mine are double ringed and they are a bit on the thinner side. I didnt know that that there was a " thick ring" 630. I am in no way a jred savy person.

i can't remember if it was the earlier or later version that used the thicker (1.5mm) rings. this saw came to me in a box. haven't givin the serial number a look to see which what or why this one is.:msp_smile: runs good either way.

25i56c9.jpg

70gcnl.jpg

I never complained about the Jonsered handles for bucking or felling - it is all about limbing :D

i can't remember if it was the earlier or later version that used the thicker (1.5mm) rings. this saw came to me in a box. haven't givin the serial number a look to see which what or why this one is.:msp_smile: runs good either way.

The thin rings usually are on the older pistons, as far as I know.

Latest posts

Back