Help me keep the Deer away

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm willing to exterminate those pesky deer for reasonable rates. Have a Bowtech and willing to travel. Discount given based on antler size.

For the ground squirrels the live traps with a door that closes down on both sides work very well. HavaHeart might be the name? Using sunflower seeds or any other nut/seed as bait seems to work well. Then load them up and move them a mile or so away (I usually move them far enough I don't think there is anyway they can find their way back). I am not an animal nut. I hunt deer. I have no problem killing rodents. For me this thing has produced better results than the big rat style traps. If you really want to kill them you could put the whole trap in a bucket of water for a few min. or shoot them with a pellet gun or 22 once trapped.

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1025...3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1253027250&sr=8-3

Nate

Last edited:
And if anyone has any good ideas on the pocket gophers/ground squirrels...I am ALL EARS!!!

Sylvia

Golden Retrievers.

Seriously, there is a show called Oregon Outdoors and they had a show about hay ranchers in E. Oregon making their barns and haystacks attractive to Barn Owls? Or was it Great Horned Owls. They noticed a major drop in the gopher population after the owls moved in.

My Goldens (now in dog heaven) were great gopher hunters. In fact the one I used to hunt with, got so she wouldn't bird hunt, but would dig for gophers. You just need to realize they'll make a few big holes.

It's easy to keep deer away from your trees, just close the lid on the freezer.

For gophers, I don't know if this would work...but I'd sure have fun experimenting to see:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Make sure you watch some of their videos!

They work... I have family south west part of Colorado that uses something like that to blow them up...

Check out "Gemplers" they have products to repel deer and other wild life.
There may be others as well but that's the first one that came to mind.

besides being such a beautiful animal and a pest at the same time, deer really dont like the smell of pigs blood, maple syrup, and ground up fish mixed together.

I use Mathews!

+1 for that... Rope you beat me to it. Matthews for a few months, then pull out the 270 for a few weeks to help keep them pesky critters away and if that doesnt work I try get whats left with the smoke pole.

besides being such a beautiful animal and a pest at the same time, deer really dont like the smell of pigs blood, maple syrup, and ground up fish mixed together.

Cant imagine I would care much for that either.

My .270 with 130 gr handloads are very effective, but seriously, you can go to any hardware store and buy liquid spray deterrents. I used to have a cabin that I planted a dozen apple trees near. I bought some spray that had a horrible strong garlic like smell that kept them off of the trees until fall when the leaves fell, then I put snow fence around them.

270 hmmm I knew I liked you for some reason

Go away, deer!

I was out to get the mail and noticed my ash tree leaves are turning yellow, which reminded me that deer would be coming. I have alot of small trees that i planted and I like to know what everybody suggests about keeping the deer away.

So far the best ive heard is to hang soap in the tree.

On a side note...any suggestions on keeping pocket gophers away.

Thanks in advance..

A couple o' things, Ziggo. For one, I've heard that dried blood fertilizer spooks deer. As for the gophers, we had so many, we started calling ourselves "Rodent Ranch" - well, then we got two Maine Coon kitties, intrepid little hunters, and I enjoyed watching this big ole groundhog running across the lawn, followed by my kitty kat, half the size. Haven't seen a gopher either. My understanding is that gophers, unlike groundhogs, don't hibernate, so they're around all year. We got 'em all, chipmunks, moles, mice, you name it. The beauty of Maine Coons is they have thick fur and double paws and love the snow, and love hunting even more. Here's an impressive list of deer repellants:
http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=251
Good luck, and I feel your pain!
Diahni

I had a deer problem with my garden. I went to the local barber and he gladly gave me a bag of hair. You can sprinkle it around or put it in small nylon sacks
then place them at the base of your sapplings.

Latest posts

Back