Help me rationalize another saw purchase..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
litefoot said:
I bought a new 460 over the summer. Lot of money, to me, but I have no remorse. It's been absolute dream in the bigger (>18 inch) pieces I cut over the summer. And Stihl's construction quality has always seemed to be a step up from the rest.

But I digress. A local pawn shop has an 044 with 24" bar in good condition for $225. Compression appears to excellent. I don't need it...but I want it. Why should/shouldn't I buy it...with emphasis on the "should", please. I need counseling here, guys...and a good 'splaining for the missus.

The proper way to go is collect enough saws that you can slip one in without her noticing. Same procedure as with guns.

Harry K

fishhuntcutwood said:
Ha. It was at home holding the house down. You know that thing is heavy and slow. I break it out once in a while, but for the most part it stays at home.

Jeff

You need someone to work on it :laugh: I love the way they cut, and sound, but kind of pain to work on... I dragged one out from under the bench (turned out to be a Mag 2) where it had sat for maybe 5 years, rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel hose, found all the missing parts from a few others we have in pieces (things get scavenged around here if not locked up!), gassed it up, gave it one test pull in the shop and it roared to life. Stop switch wasn't, the dogs ran for cover, big cloud of smoke from the assemble oil, throttle way high, but thanks to the choke, I killed it. Didn't need coffee for a hour...

I actually did use the MS180 for firewood. I was pleasantly surprised by it's cutting performance with the Picco Micro chain.

I used it for some felling but where it really shines is in the limbing (Douglas Fir). When you're working your way up the fallen tree and limbing, it's low weight really minimizes arm strain.

I bought it at a garage sale this past summer and haven't had a chance to use it until now. It's a keeper.

jokers said:
Hi Dave,

I`m just curious what you are doing if you can use an ms180 30% of the time? Weren`t you doing trailwork? If that is the case I can understand the use of such a small saw but I would never recommend one for firewood.

BTW, I like the 180 for cutting back the edges of trails and such, nice and light and the tiny chain works well with thin branches, bushes, and briars.

Russ

The 180 is suprisingly fast with the little chain. I would not mind using mine for limbing,just I usually dont feel like swithing the sprockets and bars around and with that stupid quick chain tensioner it takes even more time.

Back