Help my Hickory.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Ive noticed some disturbing developments in one of my hickorys over the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone knew what might be causing it.

The first thing I noticed was that the tree was producing these funny green balls. Their hollow but look like a dandylion puff ball inside.

Then I noticed that some of the leaves had started to curl and others had holes chewed with some having spots.

Heres some pics......

Dead leaves.

attachment.php

Spots on a neighboring beech, a near by oak has these also.

attachment.php

Alien pods and holy leaves.

attachment.php

Worlds ugliest stems.

All of the dead leafs have this deformity.

attachment.php

Any one know what this is and or what to do?

Thanks

The hickory looks like hickory leafstem gall phlloxera, but the photo is a little blurry. If the infestation is heavy or recurrent, it may warrant treatment. The "alien pod" is a gall also, but they're caused by wasps, and usually do no harm. Is that attached to the hickory leaf, or was it found on the ground. It looks like a kind that grows on oaks. I can't tell what the spots on the beech are, might be a leaf skeletonizer, but I wouldn't worry unless it's getting covered. Many leaf problems are just cosmetic, a little chewing or fungal spots are nothing to worry about. When it gets extreme you might have to deal with it.

Hi Trees4est!

The photo of the deformed leafstem is from the hickory in question and was found on the ground along with hundreds of others.

The tree has lost about 50-60% of its leaves and has seemed to stabilized somewhat. The leaves of the beech and oaks now look to be something different then what is wrong with the hickory. This is good as I was afraid this would spread to nearby trees and to the other hickorys if not treated.

Most nearby trees look OK, but this one hickory is a sadassed looking tree.

How should I treat this if its at all possable?

Thanks

Back