Help, my Rancher 455 looks like the Exxon Valdez....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lharrell79

Reaction score
So, i'm trying to get my Rancher 455 ready for firewood, and noticed she's leaking a ton of oil under throttle. I have the oil pump screw all the way to the right. The bar is clean.

Here's the scenario. I start her up, give her throttle and point the bar tip down at the driveway. After about 15 seconds, I start to see my oil line showing up, but at the same time, she starts drip drip dripping from underneath. I took the bar cover off, and there is oil everwhere around the clutch. So next, I ran the saw without the bar and chain, and the rubber oiler outlet was oozing out oil pretty fast. Shut her down, remove the clutch and the oil pump, clean everything (pump, pump line, oil reservoir, everything). Put it all back together, and get the same results.

When I pulled the pump out, the driveshaft gear is angled on the end where it meets the adjustment screw. Is it supposed to be this way, or is it worn out?

There has been some talk around here about that issue, I can't remember what it was off the top of my head, Search around the site and it should pop up.

Check where the rubber lines seal around the pump....

If the pump gear was worn out you wouldn't have any oil at all. Sounds to me like the pump is working fine. Either the lines are damaged and leaking oil or they're not sealing properly against the pump mechanism. I've read that you could seal that area with some sort of grease. Try searching youtube for 346xp repair. Very similar mechanism as on your 455.

First of all what kind of oil are you using? If it is anything under 30 weight then that is probably your problem. Otherwise, a O ring might not be seated right or off. My 455 will leak a little in the case overnight, and that is a common problem with this model, but I have never seen one do that.

Latest posts

Back