Help needed for FS70 R trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straight6jeff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I was using my 8 month old FS 70 r trimmer, which has about 4 tanks of the stihl canned premix through it, when it made a loud metallic BANG, then a bunch of ceramic/white porcelain like pieces came out of the clutch area, with enough force to nick my hands. The unit was not even actively cutting the grass, as I was walking across the yard when it happened. The clucth was not engaged when it happened, and it was basically at idle. At first I thought it broke a spark plug, but that was fine.

Storage of the unit is always inside a shed, hanging from hooks.

Took it in to the dealer for service, as it SHOULD be in warranty. Got a call today saying everything is ok, and by the way, you owe us 40 for a carb adjustment, even though it ran flawlessly, and always started on the first pull, half pull when warm.

Any ideas on what the white ceramic like pieces could be? There is no way it was a rock, or that it was jammed into the housing from the outside, as the pieces were way too big to have come from the outside.

Last weekend I was using my 8 month old FS 70 r trimmer, which has about 4 tanks of the stihl canned premix through it, when it made a loud metallic BANG, then a bunch of ceramic/white porcelain like pieces came out of the clutch area, with enough force to nick my hands. The unit was not even actively cutting the grass, as I was walking across the yard when it happened. The clucth was not engaged when it happened, and it was basically at idle. At first I thought it broke a spark plug, but that was fine.

Storage of the unit is always inside a shed, hanging from hooks.

Took it in to the dealer for service, as it SHOULD be in warranty. Got a call today saying everything is ok, and by the way, you owe us 40 for a carb adjustment, even though it ran flawlessly, and always started on the first pull, half pull when warm.

Any ideas on what the white ceramic like pieces could be? There is no way it was a rock, or that it was jammed into the housing from the outside, as the pieces were way too big to have come from the outside.
Pics of the pieces?

The pieces were in the clutch area when I dropped it off, so I don't have any pics.

Searched the area where it happened but couldn't find any of the pieces, as it was mowed right afterwards.

I guess I'll pic it up tomorrow and figure it out myself. I did some searches on the dealers service dept reviews.....shame on me for not looking at those first.

Reminds me of the scene in the movie Tommy Boy about taking a dump in a box and slapping a warranty sticker on the box.....

Back