Help needed from experienced locust burners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a lot more black locust than honey locust in MA and NH. I'm burning BL right now... have bunches of it. No, it doesn't burn like Oak and yes, it does help to have a softer species in the mix. You can get BL to burn nice on it's own with a good hot bed of coals and a good hot fire but it won't be long before you're opening windows to cool off.

Black locust bark is easily singled out:
DSC04476.JPG

Black locust when green has a very greenish yellowish color but after it dries most of the green disappears:
220px-Black_Locust_Endgrain.jpg

With that picture from 1project2many; I just confirmed I got 2 trailerloads of black locust ready for the splitter tomorrow.
Few people I know give me their "junk wood" locust and keep their other stuff for themselves. I help them out of their misfortunes any way I can.

I get a lot of it because people in Maryland only think they should burn oak, The funny thing is they are sold a lot of mixed hardwood as oak in places like Montgomery County because folks don't know any better.

Few people I know give me their "junk wood" locust and keep their other stuff for themselves. I help them out of their misfortunes any way I can.

Lotsa folks think it's too hard to cut or split and I know people who just can't stand the odor it produces when worked green. But it's good wood in a bunch of different ways. Build your woodshed out of BL and it will outlast one made from pressure treated lumber. Flooring made from BL is durable and unique in color and finish.

I'd spread the word in your area that you'll trade "good" Silver Maple and White Birch for BL and you might get even more off the good stuff.

I have found that trying to get HL going in a cold stove is an exercise in patience (and a bigger investment in kindling)...seems like hours, but probably only 20 mins or so...worth the wait though. once it's going you just have to add a new chunk every so often to keep your stove spittin'!

I've started mixing cedar in with the HL this winter...gets the heat up quicker when the stove is cool, and at night seems to help even the draft out as the rounds make their way down toward the ash pan

if old man winter would ever show up, I could go back to burning HL straight :snail:

Latest posts

Back