Help needed - Japanese beetle question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCB59

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a new homeowner and would greatly appreciate help understanding the effects of Japanese beetles on my new trees. Late last fall the builder planted two new street trees on our property. They never told us what kind of tree they were. I kept them watered from the time they were planted to give them the best chance. Then, in early July we had a Japanese beetle infestation. As soon as I saw this I researched what to do and found a spray to apply. Still, the tops of these trees were completely skeletonized. There were other trees in our neighborhood that were similarly affected. But, my two trees never grew back the leaves on the top like all the other trees did. The builder put in a variety of trees and it seems that the ones we got are different. Lucky us I guess.

My question, will these two trees come back to life in the Spring? Or, are the tops just dead if the leaves never came back in over four months? I still don't know what kind of trees they are. These trees are about 10 feet tall if that helps at all.

Thank you

I forgot to say that we live in south eastern PA if that helps.

I think I have identified the tree using a tree field guide. The leaves and trunk look closest to a common linden.

Jap beetles are a key pest on linden trees & controls are often warranted. Most healthy established trees can withstand a degree of beetle defoliation mid summer. However your newly planted trees have yet to under go the reestablishment phase (one year for each caliper inch). I would recommend that you maintain good tree health ( soil moisture, root collar inspection & mulch) & wait & see how they break bud in the spring. At that time make the call to save or replace. Lindens are very vigorous trees & have the potential of recovering from substantial damage.

Watch for the beetles early next summer, and get right on them if you see them come back. One year shouldn't cause a problem, but like Raintree said since it is newly planted (which is also a stress), they may struggle. One Jap. beetle infestation is not likely to cause long-term issues.

You can use a systemic insecticide to control the Jap. beetles. Home Depot of Lowes will have the product. You mix it with water and apply as a soil drench around the base of the tree. This should provide control for 2-3 years.

You can use a systemic insecticide to control the Jap. beetles. Home Depot of Lowes will have the product. You mix it with water and apply as a soil drench around the base of the tree. This should provide control for 2-3 years.
Thanks for the help everyone. Do you know the name of the insecticide at Lowes?

Thanks for the help everyone. Do you know the name of the insecticide at Lowes?

It comes under a couple brand names. The active ingredient you want to look for is imidacloprid. This is what the tree absorbs and moves into the leaves. Beetle eats leaf and dies. You want to do it early in the season so it has time to work its way through the tree.

You can use a systemic insecticide to control the Jap. beetles. This should provide control for 2-3 years.

On deciduous trees, not really.

Then you have the whole honey bee issue. Small trees can easily be targeted with a hand pump after flowering using a permethrin.

.....Then you have the whole honey bee issue...
Especially on Linden. But, on the other hand, since it is so small, it may not even flower yet...or if it does, probably not many flowers. I'd still hand spray if you can. Japanese beetles are easy to knock down.

Especially on Linden. But, on the other hand, since it is so small, it may not even flower yet...or if it does, probably not many flowers. I'd still hand spray if you can. Japanese beetles are easy to knock down.
Can you explain the honey bee problem?

You can easily do you own research. To make a very long story short. Neonicotinoid insecticides (imidacloprid) does get into pollen and nectar. The potential chronic effects on honeybee colonies is still uncertain. Battle lines have been drawn on each side of the issue. As an Arborist when other good treatment options are available, I choose to error on the side of caution.

Wasn't iot lindens in Oregon with 50,000 dead bees around it?

Not much uncertain about death, and taxes...

Wasn't iot lindens in Oregon with 50,000 dead bees around it?

Not much uncertain about death, and taxes...

That was an unlawful spray application using dinotefuran middle of June on Lindens with active forging pollinators.

We're discussing a soil drench of imidacloprid early spring for the systemic control of Jap beetles on lindens.

Our wonderful EPA (more interested in politics than the environment) says the effects are uncertain.
Europe has ban the use.
Big Chem says, "don't worry be happy".
Bee keepers are crying it's the apocalypse.
I choose not to be a part of the problem.

Back