help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillywinery

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a problem that i havent been able to figure out how to take care of.
I have a tree on my place that has been uprooted that i dont want to see rot if I can figure out how to mill it up. so now lets start with the tree.
problem 1 ---The tree is a white oak at its base it measures 9 feet 5 inches thru at the narrowest point its trunk is straight with no branches for 45 feet. At 40 feet it is still 8 feet 6 inches thru . Its limbs im not worried about as i can mill them normally with only having to split 2 or three of them to fit my mill.
problem 2 ---the tree is down in the middle of the forest on my place and this place has never been logged so its full of trees just as big and bigger that will keep a tractor from getting to it to pull it out. so any mill will have to be setup where the tree is.
any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ray

I have a tree on my place that has been uprooted that i dont want to see rot if I can figure out how to mill it up. so now lets start with the tree.
problem 1 ---The tree is a white oak at its base it measures 9 feet 5 inches thru at the narrowest point its trunk is straight with no branches for 45 feet. At 40 feet it is still 8 feet 6 inches thru . Its limbs im not worried about as i can mill them normally with only having to split 2 or three of them to fit my mill.
problem 2 ---the tree is down in the middle of the forest on my place and this place has never been logged so its full of trees just as big and bigger that will keep a tractor from getting to it to pull it out. so any mill will have to be setup where the tree is.
Ray
Check into lucas or peterson or someone that has one they accel in that arena.

Ray

Got any pictures.....

Got any pictures.....

sorry nope the only pic that turned out was of the bark as i had to be within 5 feet of the tree for my flash to help otherwise there isnt enough light to take pics with my cheap camera...[I prefer to spend my money on chainsaws instead of cameras ;) ]

The Great White Oak.

Sounds like some epic novel material!:monkey:

I m not much help but these sound like problems I would love to have!

Just be sure and post us some pics there Captain Ahab. :)

Sounds like some epic novel material!:monkey:

I m not much help but these sound like problems I would love to have!

Just be sure and post us some pics there Captain Ahab. :)

i like haveing this problem it says my family did thier job right in taking care of this section of forest for the past 200+ years...and before you say anything else you should know im a cherokee and my family lived on this ground before any white men moved into this area. Im not knocking anyone due to the color of thier skin , i just want you to understand why it never has been logged. It has been well cared for with the removal of all dead wood and most of the underbrush.

Check into lucas or peterson or someone that has one they accel in that arena.

Most lucases and peterson are limited to about ~76" in log width, although they can be rigged up to be wider but it then requires a custom carriage.

This is how I would look into doing it. A big saw or a big bar is also not needed although it would be awesome to put an 18" bar on an 660 or similar and see what it could do in this situation!

Pity you aren't closer, this would be an ideal test of my beam mill.

Last edited:
That sounds like an absolutely huge tree:jawdrop:. If the area has never been logged, you'll be limited to trying to mill it in place. The alternative would be to push a road in with a dozer and TRY to pull pieces of it out.

With a long, double ended bar and two powerheads you might be able to cut some big slabs. Unfortunatley, they'll be too heavy to move unless you cut them ridiculously short.

I milled some white oak, and the slabs were 2"x 30"x8' and it took two guys to load them onto my trailer.

That sounds like an absolutely huge tree:jawdrop:. If the area has never been logged, you'll be limited to trying to mill it in place. The alternative would be to push a road in with a dozer and TRY to pull pieces of it out.

With a long, double ended bar and two powerheads you might be able to cut some big slabs. Unfortunatley, they'll be too heavy to move unless you cut them ridiculously short.

I milled some white oak, and the slabs were 2"x 30"x8' and it took two guys to load them onto my trailer.

He said other trees surround it that are the same size. I am sure he don't want to kill them by compacting soil and it would take some kinda dozer to push a tree of that size over. If he was going to move them a helo or some way to lift sections out would be an option but likely the costs would offset the value. Bob L may be on to something with the set up he showed and may be the most cost efficient way of breaking this huge tree down. We want pictures of this please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i not sure yet but i think im going to take my 880 down see if i cant cut it it sections small enough for my mill, using one of those haddon lumber guides.:greenchainsaw:

Good lord that's a big chunk of oak.

I'm an idiot when it comes to such big stuff so don't laugh too hard, but do you have enough room to roll the logs after you buck it? You could quarter it by hand or with the Haddon and still get some 40" plus slabs.

mercy, that a honker for sure. that haddon should be able to quarter it. and thats what i would do. but even then, those quarters are going to be dang heavy. maybe some horses to drag the quarters out to where you could complete the project??? whew--

Sounds as if Horses are going to be the only option to move it. But for sure the big challenge is to get it cut first! I know there is an echo in here. WOW:chainsaw:

well i got the first section cut out of it.....lot of fun standing ontop of what your cutting, while your cutting it....since my mill wont handle anything bigger than 30 inches i set the depth of my cut to 29 and got a chunk cut out....then the fun began i had to get it down to the ground and on my mill...took awhile but i rigged up a slide with 2x6's to just slide it down and onto the mill i got 22 of the prettiest whiteoak slabs out that section 1 1/8" x26"x 16' ...i will say this i wont be needing any whiteoak boards for a long while by the time i get this all cut up but thats going to take awhile as i havent figured out how to get the next section cut out yet i may have to get a bigger bar first as my largest is only 36 inches and if i do that means i will have to order it from somewhere as my stihl dealer doesnt stock anything larger.:givebeer:

there is a long bar--with chain--right now on ebay. as usual,dont know what price it will quit at--but reasonable so far.would work to get the rest of the quarters out of it--home and garden, then outdoor equip--then type 090 in the white bar,which is what the bar came off of--:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back