Help please with question on cleaning chimney w/ liner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeereg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have a wood stove with a 6" stainless steel liner. I have the right size poly brush & rods. I cleaned it last year and got maybe a quart or two of creosote after cleaning it. I pushed the brush up and down about 3 times per each section of rod I added.

My question is, what brushing action should I do? I don't want to wear out the liner by brushing it too much, if that is even possible. Do you push the brush all the way down & all the way up a few times? twist the rods? Do more of a reaming action kind of like brushing your teeth etc? thanks for any help. It's very dark and I can't really see way down there with all the dust.

I just cleaned mine a few weeks, ago 7 by 7 clay tiles, it takes me a couple tries to get it past where the stove pipe goes into the wall and into the tiles. Once it does a few times up and down suffices.

I use creosote burning logs. My stove pipe hood shows excess creosote (if any). Burn clean seasoned wood, some creosote burning logs when needed, and brush cleaning is minimally required.

I do similar to Montana, I try to burn seasoned wood and I use Rutlands SafeTFlue per directions. I ran the brush down and back once, got almost half a coffee cup of stuff...no sense getting wild with the brush if there's nothing in the flue.

I do similar to Montana, I try to burn seasoned wood and I use Rutlands SafeTFlue per directions. I ran the brush down and back once, got almost half a coffee cup of stuff...no sense getting wild with the brush if there's nothing in the flue.

My first year burning, I had some serious creosote pipe problems. I burned the creosote log and cleared up the problem quickly. Before the next burn season, had a guy climb the roof to brush out the pipe and he said the pipe was spotless. He did runn a brush and like you got a coffee cups worth. I'm a bit of a fanatic about burning good wood and monitoring my upflow and doing a visual inspection. My roof is very high, and very steep, and to have a problem in Jan/Feb there is nothing to be done with the winter conditions in full effect.

I've got about 25' of SS flex liner myself and I use a round Rutland brush and rope. I've never bothered with rods because I figured they'd never handle the two angles I've got. I stand on the roof and drop the weighted end of the rope down the chimney, and once I've positioned the brush at the top, my wife pulls it through. I can get it pretty clean with about a dozen passes. I bought from WoodlandDirect.com, and I confirmed that doing the job myself would not void the warranty. Always gotta keep those things in mind too. Good luck.

I use a product that hooks up to a cordless power drill it's called " soot eater" and works awesome best 60 bucks I ever spent and you can clean from the bottom up no more getting on rickety ladders onto a snow and ice covered roof to sweep

I use a product that hooks up to a cordless power drill it's called " soot eater" and works awesome best 60 bucks I ever spent and you can clean from the bottom up no more getting on rickety ladders onto a snow and ice covered roof to sweep
Sounds like you need to save up for some NEW ladders!! lol

SR

Latest posts

Back