Help sought for Stihl 084 repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_Woodman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Stihl 084 which ran fine until I was sawing some bristlecone pine (heavy in resin). The bar and chain began to smoke and overheat, so I shut down the saw. After it had cooled I could not start it.

I checked for spark and was getting none. So I replaced the plug, and checked the short and ground wire (seemed fine). Still no spark.
I replaced the coil with a new coil, and found that I was getting spark sometimes. So I checked the spark leg and adjusted it a few times, also I checked the spark plug gap, and finally tested the resistance (ohm) on the ground wire (secondary coil winding) which tested to .960 (should be .7 - 1.0), and then the primary winding from the Spark plug wire/lead wire hood to the engine block which tested to 2.66 on my 2k ohm setting on the voltmeter.

According to the repair manual I need to be reading 7.7 - 10.3 and the repair manual says 'replace the coil'...well this coil is brand new, so I dont think that this is the most likely solution.

I sure would appreciate some experienced advice on what to do next. As it is I am ready to sell this saw, if I cant fix it, and buy a powerful mid-grade saw to replace it.

Thanks

I have also posted this in the Homeowner forum

interested in purchasing ... you have PM..

Hi all,

I have a Stihl 084 which ran fine until I was sawing some bristlecone pine (heavy in resin). The bar and chain began to smoke and overheat, so I shut down the saw. After it had cooled I could not start it.

I checked for spark and was getting none. So I replaced the plug, and checked the short and ground wire (seemed fine). Still no spark.
I replaced the coil with a new coil, and found that I was getting spark sometimes. So I checked the spark leg and adjusted it a few times, also I checked the spark plug gap, and finally tested the resistance (ohm) on the ground wire (secondary coil winding) which tested to .960 (should be .7 - 1.0), and then the primary winding from the Spark plug wire/lead wire hood to the engine block which tested to 2.66 on my 2k ohm setting on the voltmeter.

According to the repair manual I need to be reading 7.7 - 10.3 and the repair manual says 'replace the coil'...well this coil is brand new, so I dont think that this is the most likely solution.

I sure would appreciate some experienced advice on what to do next. As it is I am ready to sell this saw, if I cant fix it, and buy a powerful mid-grade saw to replace it.

Thanks

I have also posted this in the Homeowner forum

Latest posts

Back