Help!! Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archangel95

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

fledgling chainsaw enthusiast here.

Any ideas where I can get the parts to repair this? The electronic switch is also faulty and gas runs out of the saw if you turn it on it's side with gas cap toward the ground. Which I think is because of a missing hose on the left side (looking at the saw from the back) of the air cleaner chamber. There were dry rotted pieces of hose in the air cleaner chamber and there is a steel nipple that looks like it should have something on it. I can take and post more pictures this evening if someone needs me to.

This is the biggest problem though...

Bustedasschainsaw018.jpg

Bustedasschainsaw019.jpg

The tahk housing (handle assy) is hella expensive- look for a good used on on eBay.

Here you go boss. Not too bad on price. That is, if the tank housing is your only problem. All the Parts Lists and Manuals I have don't indicate it being interchangeable with any other models.

I could be wrong with my limited resources.

028 Tank Housings on Ebay

Hope that helps.

P.S. Welcome to AS. This site totally rocks!

Last edited:
That's handle is dead easy to fix.... 2 bent 16 penny gave nali and jbweld... It will look like new... I did one on an 046 and published the pics.. someone else did one recently also.. maybe bigbadbob?

Thanks for looking but that link just takes me to ebays home page. and search for 028 housing on ebay found a screw.

That's handle is dead easy to fix.... 2 bent 16 penny gave nali and jbweld... It will look like new... I did one on an 046 and published the pics.. someone else did one recently also.. maybe bigbadbob?

Hi. Thank you for replying. Did you make a thread about this? How exactly did you do it? I'm familiar with JBWELD, but I have had terrible luck with it ever lasting or holding over any amount of time.

Hi. Thank you for replying. Did you make a thread about this? How exactly did you do it? I'm familiar with JBWELD, but I have had terrible luck with it ever lasting or holding over any amount of time.

The secret to JB weld, like any epoxy, is NOT to use the 5 minute junk... and get exact mixing proportions and super clean surfaces. I also rough up the bonding surface on the tank with a soldering iron...

Last edited:
Tank Vent

Yep, that nipple to left of carb is the tank vent. Go to a dealer and get one, they have two "worm" screws in it. These stop fuel from pouring out when it is on it's side, about 2 bucks.

Tank

Forgot to tell you, I have a metal tank and handle you can have for 25.00 plus shipping. It has a small piece broke off where the vent line exits. No problem, and it gets covered up by filter cover. If you don't want to try the JB weld.

Better yet, send me yours, pay for shipping on mine. We'll call it even.

Back