Help- Stihl 192t Idle issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trust

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all.
I posted way back about this issue but nobody seemed to post up so though id give it another go.

Awhile back i bought a 2nd hand stihl 192t from america and hand it shipped to me in England. Now when i come to start it it is a real arse to start and once its going it will not idle for long before cutting out dead and taking a good few more pulls to get it going again. Only way to stop it from cutting out is to keep the revs on.

Im wondering if anyone can shed any light as to what my problem is?
Air filter is clean and the saw runs the same even when the filters off. There is a relatively ok spark. So im thinking with something to do with the carb, air/fuel mixture or fuel filter?

Any idea's folks?
Ta, Jim

the 192t is a little cold blooded when you first fire it up too. if it is only doing it when you first strat it, maybe you should let it warm up a scond or 10

thank you geocom, i will check the link to the owners manual when i get back in, ive just got to nip out. It is appreciated

Climbinarbor- Sorry i was abit vague in the description, the saw cuts out regardless of how long i leave it running for, i could leave it running on full revs for 10 minutes then let off the throttle and it'l just die on me after a few seconds.

Thanks for the replies, lets keep at it!

Chances are the carb screws just need a little tweaking.

Be sure to check the fuel line for kinks and pinches. Check the connection at the carb, make sure it's tight and not ripped. Is the fuel filter still attached to the fuel line?
I don't know about over there, but here in the States the 10% ethanol fuel is raising havoc with with just about all power equipment fuel systems, 2 and 4 cycle, especially if it's left in the machine over a long period of time. Manufacturers claim they have changed materials but that ethanol fuel really attacks the seals, fuel lines and gums up the carb jets something fierce.
Adjust the carb once, and get it running correctly. If you have to constantly adjust the screws it's a sign there's another problem to be addressed.

Good Luck & Take Care.

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.
Managed to have a play around with the carb today. Got round to bringing it to factory carb settings (From the link posted) and its running really roughly and still stalls on idle. Turned the adjustment to lean the fuel to air mix and it seemed to help a little. But the only thing really that kept it idling was increasing the idle to a undesirable level.
Took out the spark plug and it is a lil carbon'ed up, probably from overfueling. So ive ordered a new one in the hope that this in conjunction with adjusting the carb again will get it sorted.

Does it sound like im on the right track here?

We almost got it idling at a slightly aceptable level but it just died again, it really cannot keep at a constant rev range on idle :confused:

Hope to hear from you guys again soon.

Swamp yankee- I dont think we have the fuel issue over here as my stihl strimmer and ms260 still run sweet as a nut. All the connections to the carb look good from what i can tell.
I havent checked to see if the fuel line and filter are connected, does the symptons sound like this could be the problem?
Il check later tonight all being well. Sorry if this seems abit tedious posting to people like me, but im not all that clued up on trouble shooting problems on 2 strokes engines.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Thanks, Jim

Trust,

You mentioned that the plug was a little fouled out, try checking the spark screen in the muffler assuming it's still there. Possibly it's carboned up and choking off the engine at idle. I've had a few trimmers that have acted in that manner when the spark screen was gummed up.

Jim

high idle

The idle on my 250 seems high to me a little annoying in fact but checking with a tach it is right in the range it is supposed to be.

As you bought it second hand from someoine in the US, gumming from the ethanol fuel could be an issue.
If your not able to adjust the carb, the jets could be blocked or partially blocked.
If the fuel filter comes off the fuel line, happened on my Dad's (May he Rest in Peace), Husky 350, the engine has a hard time pulling fuel from the tank. Probably not your problem but easy enough to check.
Good Luck and Take Care

i've got the same problem with a sachs dolmar at work. stripped carb put it through the sonic cleaner and still no differance . took a look at the piston, badly scored, lots of side to side play on conrod. i just don't think this engine can maintain good compression for tickover. exhaust check is a good idea though.

Last edited:
Back