Help! They're Tearing Down My Trees Tomorrow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please help me. I live in NYC. I have lived in this concrete jungle for 15 years. The best thing about my apartment are these two beautiful tree outside my bedroom window. I have lived with them and have loved them. They provide shade is the summer and they are magical in the winter, spring, and fall. Unfortunately, a tree branch broke and smashed someone's car windshield in the school parking lot below the trees. Because of this, the school wants the trees cut down! The school says that the trees are diseased and must come down. I know nothing about trees. Would you please take a look at these photos and let me know what kind of trees these are and if you think they are diseased? What, if any, kind of disease do they have? If they have a disease, is it treatable? Tomorrow morning, they are planning to cut these beautiful trees down! I need your help as soon as possible. Please help me save these trees. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    958.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 198
What about the brown spots in the middle of the sawn off limb? From what the school says, it's an indication that the tree is hollow inside or is diseased?

825593436538250de12995c858bc2640.jpg

Apparently in NYC, it is illegal to cut down a tree. Even though the school principal wants the trees down, in the morning, a master arborist is going to inspect the trees. If he finds that the trees are diseased, he will cut them down.... so they say. I am not buying it. In NYC, it's money that counts. Let's just see what he has to say. In the meantime, is there any indication that the trees are diseased?

Great question, and one of the reasons they want to tear down the trees. I have seen the base of the trees. They would not let me take photos. There is, however, one deep cavity in the base of one tree and one small cavity in the base of the other tree. I will try to post photos here when I can. I am so upset. The brown circle in the middle of the limb in the second photo, could it be that this is just maple syrup?

Great question, and one of the reasons they want to tear down the trees. I have seen the base of the trees. They would not let me take photos. There is, however, one deep cavity in the base of one tree and one small cavity in the base of the other tree. I will try to post photos here when I can. I am so upset. The brown circle in the middle of the limb in the second photo, could it be that this is just maple syrup?
Heartwood?

Keep up the fight. No, a dark core is not a sign of disease. (Idiots- yet another reason to home-educate).
Hopefully the voice of reason will prevail, but when a gub'ment skool principal gets a dumb idea is his head, there's not much chance of getting it back out.

Thank you all for your support. This is not an ordinary circumstance. Trees in NYC are so scarce. I can not believe because a limb broke and someone's windshield was cracked that the school principal would tear down these trees. 30 apartments depend on these two trees for shade and comfort and beauty. If there is anything wrong with these three photos please let me know. Thank you.

P.S.
I just now sent an email to the New York Times. I need some cannons. Anyone, please help. Thank you.

Thank you all for your support. This is not an ordinary circumstance. Trees in NYC are so scarce. I can not believe because a limb broke and someone's windshield was cracked that the school principal would tear down these trees. 30 apartments depend on these two trees for shade and comfort and beauty. If there is anything wrong with these three photos please let me know. Thank you.

P.S.
I just now sent an email to the New York Times. I need some cannons. Anyone, please help. Thank you.
First, you need to determine how far you are willing to go to save these trees.
If they plan on cutting today, that means drastic measures to delay before you can do other things like start a petition and get big name personalities on your side.
Keep in mind though, if there are some who are just as determined as you to take them down, there are ways to sabotage the trees.
Good luck and get busy!

A few names that come to mind...
http://pallensmith.com/
http://www.marthastewart.com/

I would start here:
https://www.looktothestars.org/charity/new-york-restoration-project
Founded in 1995 by Bette Midler, the nonprofit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) is based on the belief that clean, green neighborhoods are fundamental to the quality of life, and that every community in New York City deserves an oasis of natural beauty.

Seeing many parks and open spaces in dire need of clean-up and restoration, Ms. Midler created NYRP to be the “conservancy of forgotten places,” particularly in New York City’s underserved communities.

Apparently in NYC, it is illegal to cut down a tree. Even though the school principal wants the trees down, in the morning, a master arborist is going to inspect the trees. If he finds that the trees are diseased, he will cut them down.... so they say. I am not buying it. In NYC, it's money that counts. Let's just see what he has to say. In the meantime, is there any indication that the trees are diseased?
Well if its a board certified master arborist he will know if diseased. Possibly heart rot but it will come down to targets and how structurally sound it is.

The trees have been over raised it appears they kept cutting limbs off creating un even taper!
The limbs could of been reduced instead jmo

Latest posts

Back