Help with a husky350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood

Reaction score
Scored the jug and piston in my husky350. Decided to repair it myself. Put new jug and piston in. Saw starts easy but only runs for a few secounds. If I pump the fuel bulb the saw will continue to run. So saw will not draw in fuel on its own, does that mean a vacuum leak? lack of compression?

What is the purpose of the clear fuel line that runs from carb and dumps into fuel tank? I thought is was an overflow for excess fuel but when the saw is running it seems to be sucking fuel/air in through this line.

any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Elwood, I have a sneaky suspicion that the rubber grommet that connects the carb to the jug may have a tear in it or is possibly missing.Another possibility is that you may have a kinked gas line.Possibly a carb to jug gasket.
By the way, welcome to the forum.Many well educated individuals hear that will be more than able to help you out.
The grommet that I mention I think is the impulse line that supplies vacuum to the carb diaphragm.I am sure that others will chime in.

Hoses

elwood said:
Scored the jug and piston in my husky350. Decided to repair it myself. Put new jug and piston in. Saw starts easy but only runs for a few secounds. If I pump the fuel bulb the saw will continue to run. So saw will not draw in fuel on its own, does that mean a vacuum leak? lack of compression?

What is the purpose of the clear fuel line that runs from carb and dumps into fuel tank? I thought is was an overflow for excess fuel but when the saw is running it seems to be sucking fuel/air in through this line.

any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Also check to make sure you have 2 small hoses going into your carb and to their respective opposite ends. Had this happen to a 41 I have.

I'm confused. I had a husky 350 and my father has one. There is no primer bulb on it.

There should only be one hose from the tank to the carb. this is the fuel hose and it should be black.. Clear is a replacement universal hose. This is the supply to the carb. There is not a return fuel line back to the tank on this saw.

The impulse line is on the rubber hose that connects the carb to the intake. It makes a loop from the cylinder to the intake hose. if this is cracked, it might be why it is not drawing fuel from the tank to the carb.

Did you pressure check the saw after putting the new topend on it? Did you rebuild the carb? Have you adjusted the carb?

Sounds like it needs more fuel, but I am confused when you say the hose from the tank to the carb that returns fuel is leaking air.....

Are we talking about a husqvarna 350 chainsaw?

Hi Elwood, How old is your saw? The 350 did not come out with the air purge until 2005 and it was only on the 350e version as far as I know. Is this saw not still under warranty?

To answer your question about the clear line running to the tank it is the return line for the air purge. The "fuel bulb" is used to draw fuel from the tank and run it through the carburetor to purge the air from the system. It is meant to give you easer starting by not having to pull prime the saw.

To help you better with your problem would you please give us a bit more info leading up to your failure. How was the saw running?

That saw should have a 3 part intake manifold system. Are all components assembled tightly together?

Is there a dealer close by?

I recommend you call the dealer and ask how much it would cost to have the crankcase pressure and vacuum tested and that will tell you if you have leaks and where they are. I had a lot of leaky bases in the various revisions of the 350s starting with my own which was the very first delivered to VT.

IF the dealer agrees to do just the test, remove the muffler before you bring the saw in as this will save time for the tech. I test with the carb on, some do not so the carb is your call I would leave it on.

These saws MUST be vacuum tested as more often than not the pressure test shows fine

more info

It is a 2005, has about 10 hrs use. I loaned it to my nephew, he used it and filled it up with straight gas. The next time I used it I scored the piston and jug. Having spent $300 on the saw and $175 for a new jug and piston, every additional cent I spend hurts!. There is a dealer near, he offered to fix the saw originally for $250. I fix my own truck and tractor you would think I could fix a chainsaw. I should listen to my wife, she says I'm not near as clever as I think I am.

Im short, the saw was running perfect before I scored it. Maybe I put it back together and missed something. I did check the fuel line for twist it is fine.

Question - if I continue to pump the air purge should fuel flow through the return line back into the tank? Is the gromment a rubber seal within the carb?

Thanks for all the feedback

elwood said:
I fix my own truck and tractor you would think I could fix a chainsaw. I should listen to my wife, she says I'm not near as clever as I think I am.

I am so glad it's not just me:yoyo: Isn't it nice to be loved:heart: :biggrinbounce2:

Not much help other than witty interjection (sorry)
Welcome to AS
Andy

Question - if I continue to pump the air purge should fuel flow through the return line back into the tank? Is the grommet a rubber seal within the carb?

Yes fuel should flow through the return line back into the tank when you pump the air purge. Did you have the lines removed from the air purge? I have seen them put back on backwards before.

The grommet is the rubber intake manifold that attaches to the intake port. Make sure that the manifold is tightly clamped to the port. There is an impulse tube attached to the manifold plate that plugs into the rubber manifold and also an impulse hose that connects from the manifold plate to the carburetor adapter. This is a 3 part system. Make sure that the impulse tube is properly connected to the intake manifold and that the impulse hose is connected to the two plates and is not kinked.

One more thing. Did you make sure that the arrow on the new piston was facing the exhaust port?

Dumb and dumber

wanted to close out this post. The problem was crossed fuel lines. I hooked up the purge line to the carb intake, which is why it was trying to suck fuel through the return line. The air purge is suppose to pull fuel through the carb, the way I had it hooked up it was pushing fuel into the carb. Thats what happens when you disassimble something and wait a month before putting it back together. My wife was right I am not that clever, however, I am vary stubborn and stick with something until I figure it out. Thanks to all who took the time to reply, I now know how the fuel system works and that makes fixing it much simpler.

Jusr remember to

Jusr remember to check the lower cylinder base bolts for tightness. The ones on the bottom of the crankcase up into the metal cylinder base they tend to loosen when the saw has been overheated and running straight gas runs HOT

Latest posts

Back