help with bark id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarmaple910

Reaction score
I was thrown this picture from a friend, all I have is the picture, no info on whether the tree is hardwood or softwood and no info on branching pattern. The only thing I know is that its found in New York State, if that helps. Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 68135
[

Hmm.. my initial instinct was white ash (fraxinus americana). It looks quite light though. But I'm sticking with white ash. Might be a start for you anyway.

Mark Currie

try this:

attachment.php

it looks burnt to me, it may be from the stump:confused:

alright, help me out here. it reminds me of a tree, but i can't think of the name. it looks like a silver maple in the top but turns white at the bottom. in the poplar or cottonwood family? ring a bell?

This is S Mc here...I want to go with the Quercus garyana (Oregon White Oak) if it were out here...

D Mc here:

It is obviously a white birch (Betula alba) locked behind the gates of a utility arb training facility. :clap:

D and S Mc

mystery bark

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I am going with Silver poplar as the candidate for the mystery bark. I too wished that I had received more information about the bark and the tree attached to it. Toodles till the next... mystery bark.

:cheers:

We took down an aged Silver-leafed poplar (White poplar) Populas alba. This picture is from mid-range bark; not the smooth bark of newer limbs but not the lower trunk section of extremely aged bark which is deeply furrowed. This was the closest we could come to your picture.

S Mc

Latest posts

Back