Help with Dwarf weeping cherry tree.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carred

Reaction score
My husband bought me a dwarf weeping cherry tree about 6 years ago. Every year the tree seems to be dying more and more. In the spring after it blooms (which isn't much anymore) the leaves and branches look pretty good. Then all of a sudden the branches start dying. So I trim off the dead ones. Now there are only a few branches. Does anyone now how I can save this tree and if it's possible to save the tree? It was a birthday present and I really don't want to loose it..........Thanks for any info!!!

remove the soil from the base of the tree until you find the first big root growing out of the trunk. If you find roots wrapped around the trunk that is the problem; the symptoms match root girdling, which is common.

A picture of the lower trunk area would help show canker or girdling.

Mike and Treeser --

Thank you both.....Here are some pictures. Maybe that will help. Thanks again!!!!!

Pics show canker-free trunk but do not show base. Remove white wrapping and remove the soil from the base of the tree until you find the first big root growing out of the trunk. If you find roots wrapped around the trunk that is the problem; the symptoms match root girdling, which is common.

A picture of the LOWER trunk area would help show canker or girdling.
Today 08:49 AM

More pics...

Treeseer,

Here are some pics of the bottom of the tree. I did take off that grey thing maybe that was the problem Dah! If you could let me know if you see anything that would be great. Have a great day!!! and Thank you!!

The bulge in the stem is the graft union. Seems to have been buried ~3" deep. It should always be above ground. The stem below the graft seems pretty thin; the rootstock is weak. THis could be due in part to lack of oxygen to the roots.

You've dug a lot, but I still can't see the first order roots coming off the stem. Those little ones in the pic are growing upwards, gasping for air. If you want to salvage this tree, dig it up in the fall and replant it according to this: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.asp
First order roots need to be at or near the surface.

Your hubby tried to do a really nice thing, but his effort was foiled by the growers and sellers of this plant. it was defective when bought, then planted way too deep. My advice--plant another tree elsewhere to enjoy.

Latest posts

Back