Help with Echo 452VL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixxgun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Echo 452VL that does not start I know it worked a few years ago but it died. I was told it was a igniton problem and would cost like over $100 to fix I think it's the carb. can anyone help woth this or any know where I can get parts for this chainsaw pleace email me :greenchainsaw:

any small engine shop can fix it for you. If it is a carb, and small engine shop can rebuild it for you. It might be wise to take it there and have them give you an estimate first.

The carb parts will be a standard kit... not specific to the Echo. If you have spark, rework the fuel system - fuel filter, clean out hoses, rebuild the carb. It will run if the rest is o.k.

Here's some info on your saw at the site below. Thats a cool looking saw.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...9b4dfe8245a1819288256d0c006cdb82?OpenDocument
At the top of this page there is a link to carb info too. It shows tune up info and pics of the carbs which help when you put in a kit.

No offense sounds like you don't have much experience fixing saws and I don't either. Lately I've cleaned up 2 saws and put in carb kits, fuel line etc. Its easy and its been fun. I suggest you try to fix it yourself, if you carry it to the dealer you can sink too much money in it fast. Even if you do the work yourself parts are expensive it could add up fast unless it just needs tuneup parts. What are the bar, chain and sprocket like? I think that model is a good saw but then it is an old saw. You go buy coils etc, maybe other parts might be better to buy a new saw.

I clicked the bid button and got myself in trouble on ebay:dizzy: . A cleanup, carb kit and it runs good, but its missing parts and the bar, chain and sprocket are so so. I figured put all new parts and good Oregon bar and sprocket Im going to have $170.00 in it. I could of bought a new Echo 440 for $280. You need to think about that.

Like the others have said, rework the fuel system. Fuel line, filter, carb kit. It's all pretty easy stuff and you'd only be into it for less than $10 in parts. If the saw is dead, why not try it? Nothing to loose right?

If you don't have spark, I do have a good used ignition for 1/10 of what they told you it would cost to fix.

Good luck.

Fish is right the vl models had points, but the vl stands for "vibe less" and "evl" is electronic vibe less, which wasn't one of these models. I liked the 452 and sold about 75 of them...Bob

2 things...Bob Wright probably has forgotten more than the rest of us know about echo saws, listen to what he says he's a good sopurce of info. Second, IMHO, make sure you have spark before you do anything to the fuel system. Get a spark tester that works for mechanical or electronic ignition and set the spark gap as appropriate...IDK what that would be...but somebody here should...and ground out the ground to any good metallic ground, crank the engine over you should have a strong blue flame, if you don't it's the ignition system. If you do, it can only be low compression or fuel system related.

help

Well I found out that the Carb has been rebuild this saw was given to me from my day. Is there any kits for the points or magneto ? which do you guys think it is? I'll look to see if I have spark. and get back to U:chainsaw:

Sixxgun said:
Well I found out that the Carb has been rebuild this saw was given to me from my day. Is there any kits for the points or magneto ? which do you guys think it is? I'll look to see if I have spark. and get back to U:chainsaw:

If you don't have spark, file and regap your points before looking for replacement parts.

Update

I check for spark today found none so I took the cover and flywheel off to get to the the points. I'm kinda needing help here a few thing I got questions on for starters what am I looking for with the point what kind of wear and what is the gap supost to be also cost if needed to be replaced. And lastly what about the magneto?:chainsaw:

Back