Help with Husqvarna 61 Gray Top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrush128

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Let me start by saying Hello to all! I've been following this site for quite a while, but finally joined today.

Yesterday, I purchased a non-running Husky 61 on Craigslist for $30. The previous owner said he was running it one day, but after about 5 minutes, it just died and wouldn't restart. I was hoping that this was going to be a simple carb issue, and that after cleaning it up, I would have a sweet saw for $30. Well, thats starting to look less and less likely.

I cleaned the carb, put a new plug in it, verified that it was getting spark and gas, but it still will not fire up. It wont even start to fire at all, choke or no choke.

What could be the issue? Was paying $30 for this saw a bad idea?

Also, I noticed that the anti-vibe dampeners seem to be broken. Are these easily replaceable, and if so, where would I find replacements?

Thanks in advance!! Chris

u6u3udy7.jpg

I assume this means I'll be replacing a top end in my future...

Yep :(

Maybe you could clean up the jug. You also can recoup your $30 in parts if you don't want to mess with it. What style chain brake does it have? If it is a working metal one with the band intact, it is worth what you paid for the saw.

The brake handle is metal and the band is in tact. The saw is in good to very good condition overall. Has a newer bar and chain. I'd like to rebuild it because it will fill a void in my saw collection. I currently own a Husky 23 Compact and a 55 Rancher, so I figure this saw will add a little more muscle, without breaking the bank.
Now my question is, do I replace it with the stock top end, or is it worth doing a 272xp swap?

The brake handle is metal and the band is in tact. The saw is in good to very good condition overall. Has a newer bar and chain. I'd like to rebuild it because it will fill a void in my saw collection. I currently own a Husky 23 Compact and a 55 Rancher, so I figure this saw will add a little more muscle, without breaking the bank.
Now my question is, do I replace it with the stock top end, or is it worth doing a 272xp swap?

Those brake handles with an intact band are impossible to find. I searched for almost 2 years before finding one. I would have easily paid $50 for the saw, so you have done well despite the top end.

You have a number of options for top end replacement including a 268. I'm not sure if the 272 upgrade (or the 68) for that matter require some other things like a larger carb, intake etc.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/196356.htm

CHeck out this thread. For a little more than the price of a new piston, you could have a new top end. The consensus seems to be that the kit is ok, but could be a little better. The 61 is kind of an underachiever so Im willing to bet it cuts as good or better than a stock 61. You may need to source a few intake parts.

SOunds like you got some good options. Lets make sure that you actually find the reason for the scoring before you go to popping a new top end on there. Read up on doing a vac/pressure test before you put any new parts on the saw.

If it's in very good shape, I'd say you're right in wanting to fix it up. That piston looks bad enough that I wouldn't expect the cylinder can be salvaged. At least not without spending a silly amount of time on it.

Bunch of different top ends that can be used there. I just put a Jonsered 630 Super top end on a gray top 61. Any top end with a deco will not work with the metal brake handle, so you have to go with the plug instead of the deco. On a gray top, the 272 top end will likely interfere with the top. Not sure if it's as bad as on the white tops where some cutting is necessary. I've done a lot of mix and match with this family of saws and I just go with the original carb rather than go for the exact match. A performance difference might be measurable on the cookie pile, but on the firewood pile it's no big deal. :msp_smile:

I've got an excellent OEM 61 top end (piston, ring, and cylinder) sitting here in front of me. I would take $45 shipped to you if you are interested. Heck, make me an offer... It's not going to be used here.
PM me if you are interested.
View attachment 311763View attachment 311764

Is your top end newer or older? The muffler mounting on the cylinders was different depending on the vintage of the saw.

Mine was from a white top 61... So, I would say older vintage.
We've exchanged PM's... Might be moving on down the road.
Also, this sure sounds like a straight gas problem... From the prior owner anyway... But, Idk

TFB

Is your top end newer or older? The muffler mounting on the cylinders was different depending on the vintage of the saw.

As long as both saws are two piece ignition 61's you will be good to go....The spark plug angle changed from the old style to the newer 61's as well, so you need to make sure they are the same vintage for sure.

How would I know for sure if that top end is compatible with my saw? I like the idea of keeping oem parts in the saw, especially at the very reasonable price that has been offered to me, but I want to make sure that it'll all match up first.

Is it just me or does it seem like there is a very large amount of Husky 61 discussion lately. There have been 3 near mint condition ones found and offered in the trading post in recent memory and seems like a lot of new threads regarding 61's. Just an observation, carry on. :arg:

Latest posts

Back