Help with Husqvarna 61 Gray Top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dug up some of the pics....first is the pile of parts. Notice the difference in bore! Also if u look close u can c the diff in intake x-sectional area....I used a 272 intake manifold.
View attachment 314480

I did have to relieve the top cover to make room for the spark plug and larger fins...lol actually made it look pretty cool.
View attachment 314481

Also another pic of the first itteration when I was still thinking of useing 272 inake from filter to cylinder...I eventually went back to the 61 intake snorkle and filter. Along with top cover. It looked better, smaller, and actually the saw feels lighter thann it really is because of the smaller size.
View attachment 314483

And another view of the cover:
View attachment 314484

And another:
View attachment 314485

AND I almost forgot. At first I had a tough time getting the carb tuned...and it was rich. So on a hunch I opened up the top cover as shown in this pic AND right in front of the handle too. I then later epoxied screens to the inside of the cover to keep the chips out....It worked out well so far (two years and counting) AND the tuning became the way it should. The saw runs well and works well. Set the no load RPM at 12700 with a tac. Have solid power and dark brown plugs. Easy starter too.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the aftermarket cylinder will be usable? Also, could the loose muffler be the cause of the damage to the stock piston and cylinder? Thanks!

ygu5e4uv.jpg

Didn't. Used a 272 intake and used a die grinder to make everything work with the 61 air filter and snorkle. Also hogged out the inside of the 61 snorkle so the x-sectional area was close to the 272's snorkle. Also tried two carb configs. One was just the 61's and the other was from a 272 with some of the 61's parts. Think the 61's origional carb ended up on there but don't remember. This was a while ago...did a step by step on another site a few years back.

The original HS-163 carb of the white top 61 (and the gray/black top 61) has a venturi of only 15.9mm, while the 272xp carb has a 17.5mm venturi - that is a big difference, that certainly will affect the performance of the saw. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back