Help with Jonsered 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdb153

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here and kind of new to saws.

I bought a real nice Jred 490 earlier this year and absolutely love it. I was cutting last week and it started bogging down and then shut off. I couldn't get it started again and came to realize it didn't have a spark. It's not the plug, I even tried a new one. I'm thinking it's the magneto. Does that sound reasonable?

If anyone out there can give me a suggestion on where to find old Jonsered parts or if you know of a replacement that might work I'd really appreciate it. I just hate the thought of this saw rusting away in a corner bc I can't find one part. It looks like the part # is 506 02 72-01. Again, any help is really appreciated. Thanks

I bought a real nice Jred 490 earlier this year and absolutely love it. I was cutting last week and it started bogging down and then shut off. I couldn't get it started again and came to realize it didn't have a spark. It's not the plug, I even tried a new one. I'm thinking it's the magneto. Does that sound reasonable?

If anyone out there can give me a suggestion on where to find old Jonsered parts or if you know of a replacement that might work I'd really appreciate it. I just hate the thought of this saw rusting away in a corner bc I can't find one part. It looks like the part # is 506 02 72-01. Again, any help is really appreciated. Thanks

Jonsered ignitions are guaranteed for life I would try to take it to a JRed dealer first. I am guessing you are not the first owner so you might not get lucky there.

Yeah, I'm not the first owner and I don't know if there are any dealers in PA, their website was not much help for dealer locator on the east coast.

The 490 is way before the lifetime ignition warranty, but that brings up an interesting thought: What good would such a warranty be in the event that the part is NLA? :confused: It's bound to happen sooner or later.

I'm just guessing, since I am home, but there's a 50/50 chance that ignition is available from Tilton's "Total" catelog. I'll check on Monday. Otherwise, I probably have a used one, so I'll let you know.

The 490 is way before the lifetime ignition warranty, but that brings up an interesting thought: What good would such a warranty be in the event that the part is NLA? :confused: It's bound to happen sooner or later.

I'm just guessing, since I am home, but there's a 50/50 chance that ignition is available from Tilton's "Total" catelog. I'll check on Monday. Otherwise, I probably have a used one, so I'll let you know.

When did Tilton start the warranty on the ignitions? Good point on the NLA, how would that work? New equivalent saw? :)

I'm about 30 miles west of Philadelphia. Only Husky and Stihl dealers around, from what I've seen.

Well, I don't have one. You can't use one from a 450/455 since it is mounted on the top of the flywheel, hence the wire is too short, so that kills my idea of the used one.

But the good news is that it is still available. Original part number was: 506-027201, which supercedes up to part number: 503-901201, and then again to :544-018301, so either number will work. This coil was also used in the 257/262 family of Huskys, so it can be obtained at any of your local Husky shops.

So, you can get that 490 back to work. :clap:

First thing to do is check coonections and wire.
After that you remove kill wire. It is not rare that moisture is gathered up around switch and lead to ground.

Thanks Mange, I'll give that a try. The wire and connection look good from what I can see.

Spike, thanks so much for your time and research. I'll stop by the dealer and see what they can do for me.

This has been a been a positive first posting experience here, thanks to everyone who replied.

Latest posts

Back