Help with new/used stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pictures for the jug, these are the best i can do with out a bore scope. It looks like some tryed to port the intake some. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• chainsaw7.JPG
    chainsaw7.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 33
  • chainsaw1.JPG
    chainsaw1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 37
  • chainsaw2.JPG
    chainsaw2.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 34
  • chainsaw3.JPG
    chainsaw3.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 33
  • chainsaw4.JPG
    chainsaw4.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
  • chainsaw5.JPG
    chainsaw5.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 33
  • chainsaw6.JPG
    chainsaw6.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 28
That looks like it has injected a bunch of fines. I would bet that jug could be salvaged. Look up "how to clean a cylinder without acid on here. Long story short it's sandpaper on a split mandrel with a die grinder or drill sanding only on the aluminum transfer. Once removed hit the whole jug with 220 then red scotch Brite a finish . New rings and piston. If bearings are bad it will need to be split.

ok, this might be dumb but how do i get the flywheel and clutch off. Also if i fix the jug is it going to be the same 52mm piston and rings or do i need a bigger one?

Flywheel puller is your best bet (buy 1 on ebay or may be here someone has an xtra, borrow possibly or use a local shop) threads on shaft are right hand (counter clock wise to loosen) flywheel side only, clutch side has left hand threads so clockwise to loosen clutch. Standard procedures I believe uses a piston stop or piece of rope, you can find those methods in the forum somewhere. It may be a no no but I take the clutch and flywheel nuts off with impact wrenches, but am careful to go the right direction and gentle on the trigger until they come loose. Crankshaft ends some times break if you are careless doing it this way.

So here is a new problem. I believe i am missing some parts of the jug.

Attachments

• chainsaw30.JPG
    chainsaw30.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 27
  • chainsaw10.JPG
    chainsaw10.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 33
  • chainsaw20.JPG
    chainsaw20.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 32
Yeah I spotted a problem on the transfer port in the first set of pics. I see that it really is one and not debris stuck to it.
It appears that this saw has already had bearing problems to cause all that damage. It looks like they ground on it to reuse.
It is total junk. I'm betting the case is spun out from multiple sets of bad bearings. Funny thing is the piston is probably still good.

Don't let our predictions determine the saws fate. It needs a good inspection to determine whether or not it is in the condition for a rebuild.
Don't try to remove the flywheel or split the case without the proper pulling tools or you will risk damaging beyond repair.

after looking more the flywheel is broken and the oil line has been JB welded into place. I am not sure if it is worth saving at this point, And the fuel tank leaks.

Can we see what the case looks like? The flywheel is easily replaceable and the oil line jb weld can easily be drilled out with the right size bit.

Here you go

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    907.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
it might take 200$ or more to get this saw right. milling with it will push any saw to its design limits. it needs to be built right.and even then they blow up sometimes.

I would be fine with $200. I just don't want to put anymore money into it if I can't do what I bought it for.

Latest posts

Back