Help with using Stihl USG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntegrityCarpentry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need help with Stihl USG chain grinder. What stones are recommended and from where? At minimum I need wheel for 3/8 and depth gauge.

What do I use for profiling and dressing?

Are there any tutorials? The guy I am helping has one and has used it for years but I think he is taking some bad shortcuts.
He loves my handfiled chains but I can only do a couple saws after a day’s cutting and not really make progress on the countless loops of saw chain.

I could also use advice with grinding the rakers with the profiled stone.
I have hardly any idea what I am doing.

I have probably done 10-13 chains and starting to get an idea of how it works. Minus the depth gauges. Some of his chains took 30 passes with the handfile per gauge…. Others have not needed anything.
Thanks guys!

Gabriel 8DF31ADD-4FD2-4D1B-B86F-24B5933B3770.jpegDC2F5FCE-F6FC-44E4-BB16-123530E51709.jpegE554B6D4-FC05-403E-8A33-B16F05C3AE19.jpeg62B65DC1-A4CA-4050-9547-AD74EE84D286.jpeg

I found the oem wheels from Stihl best, they don’t burn. Can get dressing stick from Stihl also.
youtube for vids

I need help with Stihl USG chain grinder. What stones are recommended and from where? At minimum I need wheel for 3/8 and depth gauge.

What do I use for profiling and dressing?

Are there any tutorials? The guy I am helping has one and has used it for years but I think he is taking some bad shortcuts.
He loves my handfiled chains but I can only do a couple saws after a day’s cutting and not really make progress on the countless loops of saw chain.

I could also use advice with grinding the rakers with the profiled stone.
I have hardly any idea what I am doing.

I have probably done 10-13 chains and starting to get an idea of how it works. Minus the depth gauges. Some of his chains took 30 passes with the handfile per gauge…. Others have not needed anything.
Thanks guys!

Gabriel View attachment 1051301View attachment 1051302View attachment 1051304View attachment 1051303
I saw the kit somewhere on eBay last week.

Back