Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Hog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went to look at a job tonight and need advice. A few trees to remove turned out to be 18. Some of this job is outta my range but most isn't. Here's my ideas on this. Option 1 pass on whole job or option 2 do what I feel comfortable doing and sub out hard stuff. I'm leaning towards option 2. I'd hate to turn it down money wise but also don't want to hurt me or any property along the way. Alright boys let me have it

Has anyone chipped into a dumpster ? Haveing a hard time find dump spot so I'm thinking of the dumpster idea. How do you guys go about getting rid of chips out of your area ? My leads are running out
Pete

Last edited:
yes option 2, and learn from your subs so you can do it all next time.

Chips belong on the property they came from, and trees need mulch. Market that service!

Definately sub out the parts you don't feel comfortable with. And you can have the subs just get it on the ground so your crew can still get paid from the cleanup. And be onsite to learn how they did the part you didn't feel comfortable with.

Be sure to have insurance and scheduling issues covered beforehand.

As far as chipping into a dumpster, what a waste of rescources, landfill space, and money to have it hauled off.

For a free or cheap ad listing, you could have all the free dumpsites you want, or even get paid enough to cover gas to get rid of them.

Or call a few gardens and nurseries in your area, and you'll find one willing to take all the chips you can bring them.

Treeseer: Can chips be applied fresh as mulch, or should they be aged at least a year before use? I've been told it's not good to use them fresh, but I've also heard that it makes little difference. What do you think?

definately not chips that might be diseased,,,i have also heard that leave them for a bit,,,,too much acid?????

In my opinion fresh chips are usually fine as long as they arent diseased or put down any thicker than 2 inches deep.

Chips

Fresh chips vs aged...
Fresh are suupsedly okay to use but I question the C:N ratio when using them. Also obv. some types of trees are going to acidify the soil, pines, etc.. THe breaking down of lignins (sp) in wood robs nitrogen from the ground, and conmversely the plant. How much I couldnt say.. I was taught that you should age them, and you have no problems with the C:N ratio.
The company that I presently work for regringds them in a tub grinder and sells them as mulch for a fair price. They also market the fact that our mulch is natural and has more beneficial organisms then your typical pallet mulch that has been dyed. It def doesnt hold its color as well as dyed stuff but for some siuations is much nicer. I was at a job today where the landscaper has been putting down his red gold for a few years and it was 8 inches deep. We reccomended to the client ot remove it due to the evidence of fungal growth ont he trunk of some rhodes and euyonomyous. To me it is evidence that the dyed stuff doesnt break down as quickly as the regrounmd stuff. We put down mulch every year for clients, and have never has it pile up the the extent of what i saw today.
Another thing is the money factor. It is nice and helps our profit considering we charge to remove and then charge to put back down the same chips...

I've already got the wheel rolling on help from right here on this site. These trees are pretty big and close to the house and that's why I feel uncomfortable. I'd leave the chips but these people what to turn this area into lawn. I sure wish I had a place to store them and turn them into mulch next year. I'm going to contact some nurseries in the area about them

Brush Hog,

Find out who is selling composted/processed mulch in your area, the nurseries might be buying their supply from a processor. Your raw mulch is his unrefined gold.

Another possibility is hog farms. A large herd of swine can turn even a large pen into an impassable quagmire in short order. Hog farmers need fresh wood chips on a regular basis or the herd will sink up to their nipples in pig poop.

I've even gotten rid of several dozen truck loads of wood chips to a District authority (read: County Seat) for use in building hiking trails. Users of your chips are out there, a little imagination and research and they find a good home.

RedlineIt

Last edited:
not sure where you are in CT but..............

i may have some places you can get rid of it in central CT.

Latest posts

Back