help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK, I received a great number of responses regarding the husky 455 rancher. Some good and some not so good. So, with that being said, I will ask another question. What are your thoughts on the sthil ms290.

I am a home owner with woods and a passion. I'm not trying to be a pro, I simply want a solid reliable saw.

You guys have always given great advice, so I would appreciate your thoughts on this saw. 369.00 for a 16" and I was told 399.00 for a 20". Will adding the 4" to the saw matter?

Yes, adding 4" will matter. That is not only 4" of extra weight that you have to carry around (it may matter after a few hours), but it is 4 extra inches of chain that your saw will have to pull.

I have both saws and cannot offer a suggestion as to which one to buy as they are pretty close in performance. I'm sure someone on here can chime in regarding the specific differences of each saw.

Have you visited any dealers near you? Do you have both a husqvarna and a stihl dealer near you? It may come down to which dealer will give you better service.

I haven't been inside my 455 Rancher, but the MS290 is more of a chore to work on when dealing with changing a piston and cylinder. If you plan on repairing your saw yourself, this may matter.

Good luck with your choice. Both are good saws and, unless you get a hunger for more power, either will serve you well.

HTH

I agree with Chris. The main reason I have a Stihl is the dealer support - several hardware stores and a small engine repair guy are dealers. Tractor Supply is the only Husky dealer so that scares me a little if something goes wrong and it turns into a repair issue where I'd be without the saw for a long time. For the record I have a MS310 and have no complaints.

I have owned both saws.Can't honestly say I liked one more than the other.For hardwood I would use a 16" bar and chain on both.Longer bars 20" and bigger drag those saws down too much imo.However a longer bar is nicer for limbing the tree once it is down less bending over.My back appreciates it.This site is a wealth of information,do some studying here.If I was in your position I would give some thought to a 2 saw plan.I would look for a good 50cc saw and 70cc saw used.You will find you use the 50cc saw more than the 70cc probably.Just keep hanging out here and in a year you will have at least a half dozen or more saws.

For what you want and do, either the 455 or 290 would be perfect for you. A 20" bar may not be the best performing, but it would be one bar to do it all. I would go by how the saw feels in my hands, then go by how good the dealer is and finally price. Then just cut wood and enjoy the saw and stay out of the chainsaw forum.
Dok

I have owned both saws.Can't honestly say I liked one more than the other.For hardwood I would use a 16" bar and chain on both.Longer bars 20" and bigger drag those saws down too much imo.However a longer bar is nicer for limbing the tree once it is down less bending over.My back appreciates it.This site is a wealth of information,do some studying here.If I was in your position I would give some thought to a 2 saw plan.I would look for a good 50cc saw and 70cc saw used.You will find you use the 50cc saw more than the 70cc probably.Just keep hanging out here and in a year you will have at least a half dozen or more saws.

:agree2: Get 18" bars for both, have same pitch and guage---that way you can use same chains for both. Get a 24" bar for the bigger saw for the occasional monster rounds. Hint: the +70cc saw with an 18" bar will cut 3:1 over the 50cc saw

I have an 18" bar on the 290. RS chain on it, not too bad, but I believe it would run better with a 16" bar....

I would grab it in a minute with the 16" bar and make that your back up/limbing saw. Down the road, get something that can handle a 20" bar, like a 361 or 441. I've had a Farm Boss for 10 years and it is still goin strong.

Believe it or not my 455 is my go to saw for almost any situation. Just re-tune either saw to your liking and it will be a dream to operate. Two pulls in the summer months, and 3 in the winter months. I have had mine for 3 years and I would not trade it for anything, other than another 70cc saw...:)

ms290

I have ms290 and have to agree that 20" bar is absolute max for this saw as it wants to dog out. Starts and runs good except I'm on second replacement(third) gas line.

ms290

Never had a husky, the only local dealer is an hour away. I do have the 290 w/18" bar and it does everything I want it to do. I have a couple of 028's as backup saws that still run fine. I went with 18" because that's what the 028's are as well. My next stihl will be bigger.......:)

i agree on the tuning.

Believe it or not my 455 is my go to saw for almost any situation. Just re-tune either saw to your liking and it will be a dream to operate. Two pulls in the summer months, and 3 in the winter months. I have had mine for 3 years and I would not trade it for anything, other than another 70cc saw...:)

it can make all the difference in a saw.i have had to re tune every saw i have bought.i wonder sometimes if these dealers we support for service actually know what the hell they are doing.

Back