Hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
I have a chance to score about 3 cords of cut and split hemlock. I've never burnt any and am curious if anyone out there has had experience with this low-resin conifer.

FYI, this would not be my principal fuel, but would supplement my main supply of oak, maple, ash, and birch.

I never burnt inside but only because I never got the chance. Although I have used it for kindling. Burns fast and hot. I would burn it for sure.

hemlock firewood

Good & dry it'll burn fine - Mix it in with your hardwood, or just use it this time of year when you don't need those dead of winter fires.

Ditto that, I burned it for years untill I lost my supply of it.

:givebeer: :spam: :chainsaw: :clap: :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Thanks, all. I figured as much. The stuff is there piled and ready for the taking. The only drawback is that the supply is about 30 miles from home and not on a route that I normally travel. But it is at my brother's camp, so I'll likely combine visits with hemlock pick up. There's also a nice supply of 5" diameter beech, ash, and maple in 4' lengths that I'll be sure to snag first.:greenchainsaw:

it's good stuff! i burned about a cord of it over last 2 years. it burns hot and fast as you would expect, and has a very nice aroma as well. great to get your hardwoods going.

I have a chance to score about 3 cords of cut and split hemlock. I've never burnt any and am curious if anyone out there has had experience with this low-resin conifer.

FYI, this would not be my principal fuel, but would supplement my main supply of oak, maple, ash, and birch.

How often do you sweep your chimney?

As a supplement I suppose it's OK but I'd lean more towards the hardwoods.

How often do you sweep your chimney?

As a supplement I suppose it's OK but I'd lean more towards the hardwoods.

Sweep annually. Last year, there was hardly any creosote:) owing to a good seasoning program we follow and the fact the pipe is a straight shot up with a good draft and no elbows.

Having a wood cookstove, we split everything into really small pieces for cooking, as well as heat. We leave the split mixed hardwoods staked under a tarp for several months in a south facing location where lots of sun and wind get on our supply. Late summer/early fall we move the supply into 2 former horse stalls in our barn connected to the house where our fuel continues to season until needed.

The fact the barn is connected to the house is nice since our fuel doesn't get buried under the snow (many in the NH area had lots of wood this winter but were unable to access it due to record snowfall).

Hemlock would be used mainly as a supplement. I's have a hard time imagining burning the stuff exclusively. Especially where this year I have many awesome opportunities to land good supplies of ash, maple, oak, and other species.

Latest posts

Back