Here is what I did this afternoon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acer saccharum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My tree service source called me up last Wednesday and offered these. Just can't say no to free wood. He gave me 7 Black Locust and 2 Maple. They are between 10 and 22 feet, up to 30+ inches. It will probably be almost three cords when I get it done.

:chainsaw:

P2080057.jpg

P2090004.jpg

The first three logs were 10-14" in diameter, they were easy cutting compared to the fourth log that came up

P2090005.jpg

P2090009.jpg

The fourth log was 22" and 22'.

P2090016.jpg

I'm running out of daylight and still have a ways to go on the fourth log. You know where I will be found next weekend.

I had some help on the cleanup.

P2090018.jpg

Three trash cans of sawdust and bark

P2090021.jpg

I'm beat, the chains are dull and the 029 is acting up. Time for a beer.

Good bit of work done there!

That must make for some careful cutting having to cut on your driveway. You must be pretty good at easing through the last part of the log and/or you roll them?

Good bit of work done there!

That must make for some careful cutting having to cut on your driveway. You must be pretty good at easing through the last part of the log and/or you roll them?

You definitely can't touch your tip into the driveway and expect a chain to stay sharp, but plain old ground will dull a chain awfully fast to, especially if you hit a pebble. So as for being careful or rolling, I do both, sometimes I roll them and I also have the wood up on pipe or lumber so I can cut through.

Cutting on the driveway does make for a pretty easy broom cleanup. Much easier than cleaning up the lawn.

You are obviously having fun, and to have the logs laid so nice for you too, lucky guy.

That is some nice wood ya got there. :cheers:

Nothing like giving yourself some work?

Great to see another NJ'er as well.

Welcome to the site....

You definitely can't touch your tip into the driveway and expect a chain to stay sharp, but plain old ground will dull a chain awfully fast to, especially if you hit a pebble. So as for being careful or rolling, I do both, sometimes I roll them and I also have the wood up on pipe or lumber so I can cut through.

Cutting on the driveway does make for a pretty easy broom cleanup. Much easier than cleaning up the lawn.

I agree, I also do alot of cutting on the driveway and even though I wrecked a few chains it still beats raking saw chips out of the lawn.

way to get good help - I love having my little brothers help me and they are always glad to help out for a trip to the local ice cream shop. Many hands make light work
:clap:

Last edited:
I agree, I also do alot of cutting on the driveway and even though I wrecked a few chains it still beats raking saw chips out of the lawn.

A big shop vac works great. I put down plastic when I was milling, but the exhaust blew a lot of the powder off the plastic, so I broke out the vac. I would have looked strange vacuuming the yard but I have no neighbors to call me on it. :clap:

Ian

Last edited:
Back