Here's an interesting one to bid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This one has pretty much died since the shopping centre opened the new section about 2.5 years ago.

The one next to it is looking a little sad too but not our problem right now.

This area is the entertainment and restuarant place. 7 days trading from 6am for breakfast thru to 1am for 2 bars.

I estimate the tree to weigh around 3 to 4 tonne, but it's integrity is the question?????? Chunking down, not an option.

Crane access, well, maybe, but it'll be tight and the surface questionable, we are also above a carpark.

Anyway, have a look and see for yourselves where palms end up and what a nightmare things can become. And what about the stumpgrind????

The pics are all in a row on a webpage and scroll across the screen, remember to enlarge them first or you'll be squinting. The page is around 400kb to download, pic sizes are around 700 x550 pixels so should fill ya screen nicely.

Sheesh, do ya really want jobs like this? :confused:

http://www.palmtreeservices.com.au/funstuff/hyperdome.jpg

Real tight spot, why do folks leave stuff like that without asking someone first? Is it possible to set up a crane at that car park area, not sure of the distance to tree from there, maybe 60'? Believe you can overcome integrity issue with lots of marls all the way down the shaft, so if it breaks up it will still hang. As for stump, probably cut it in pieces low enough below the deck and deck over it. Looks like a late night job after pedestrian traffic is gone. 4 hour window tight. Interesting bid to put together, if the owners are willing to pay the price for the job to be safely and effeciently why not? I agree there are lots of smaller better paying jobs out there, but I also believe in pricing the job to be profitable, not pricing it just to get the work. ;)

Genie lift.

Bid to the one and then the other two seprerately as a suggestion, so they can re-landscape.

Have them open up the deck and use a mini loader with thumb to get the root out.

I think you would have to get the crane co to have a look and see if they have one that will reach. And how much could be lifted at that distance.

Who would be responsible if a piece swung and hit the building in a lift?

How long has it been dead for?

I think a heli would be too unstable for this job.

So whats the situation to date - Priced it yet? Let us know!

The palms were craned in during constructiuon phase and then built around, I suppose no-one thought about getting them out later.

That first one has been dead around 2 years, it pretty much declined from day one and was near dead when the centre opened.

There's plenty that needs to be discussed, they cant just get a price and go for it IMO. They'll need to know what the method is, lighting, traffic control, security, mees/dust clean up etc etc .... needs to be discussion on these things.

Have submitted a ball park and asked for discussion, haven't heard back.

Bid another tough one earlier this year, in the end it got real intricate and my bid's 30 day period expired. The management kept pushing for more standards such as dust control, noise control etc. I upped the anti after the 30 day period by $5K, they baulked and walked away ....

.... 6 months later the palms are still there, not done.

Moral of the story is that good tree crews aren't a dime a dozen, so dont treat them that way.

What a bout a transformer crane?They crew i would use could do it easy in a day.No full stump grind.Flush cut then maybe auger so you can deck rite over it.

My bid would be 8000.00USD

Call the boys done deal.

Dust control=Water hose
traffic = at night
ppl = is one days buisness worth losin yer entire buisness due to liability?

All said and done = 4 hours give or take 1 =2000 an hour and a laugh at the bank.Good Luck on gettin it bud.

What city are you in?

I would charge a minimum of $2500.00 with a crane rental and other TD's that day. YOu could have the tree removed and chipped up in about 3 hours. That price is relative to the premium of having no damage afterwards and with stump removal...

We can rent a crane and operator in Boston for about 1,200 a day. So three TD's and you made your money.

My bid would be for all three of course.(I would definitly try to sell them to remove all three.Would be stupid not to.)second one is dead also and third id declining bad so tell them probability and liability are high.Might aswell handle it while yer in there 1 time.

P.S crane here with operator and climber runs me 175.00-275.00 an hour with a three hour minimum.(varies due to busy times and price reflects me due to payin dues)

craneandsemi1.jpg

Looks easy. :biggrinbounce2:

Crane lifts the section through the ring after making a cut above where it goes through the glass looking section.

Then dissect it in little 4" thick pieces like thick pancakes.

Under the glass, make one cut, then another a few inches below it. Then slide a pancake of trunk out, allowing the thin chunk in the lower ring to drop down. If not enough, remove a second pancake from below.

If it's jammed in the lower frame, cut an X from the top or bottom and use a cheap carpenter saw to finish. The 1/4s will break up the whole and let the piece fall out of the hole.

Easy right ? :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Oi, what were they thinking? :biggrinbounce2: I like the thin pancake idea, the crane is good too if you can get at it (I'd lift the sucker up and piece it out from the bottom at ground level in 4' chunks, with decent swing stabiliztion of course), helicopter, um no. Piecing it out in thin rounds seems the way to go, 50-70 cuts (gah!) but the best solution I can think of is get one of the good NZ carvers up there and let 'em whittle away at it and create a work of art, plenty of decent chainsaw carvers out there who'd love a challenge like that as well (hey some great ones here too who'd love a vacation), and hey, ther's three of 'em! Could become another attraction!
Oh please do keep us updated on this one!!!!! :chainsaw:
:blob2: there, do I got all the primary colors?

Last edited:
Ekka...

You need to develop something natural like breeding wood borers on steroids.

Kind of like the Bugs Bunny cartoon type insects that devour trees in a matter of seconds.

:blob6: :blob6: :blob6: :blob6: :blob6:

Last edited:
1st, contact a good crane company and ask for a site inspection, ref ground loadings, reach and setup/working time/taken down time. Possibly to do all three palms. The crane could possibly be setup from midnight/1am outside the court area in the vehicle area.

2nd, ground loadings for access platform as close to the palms as possible (Genie 60/34 or spider lift for lower ground loadings for height and reach?).

If alls well and possible, the glass panel around the palm looks like it bolts together (remove it), tie the top support ring to the palm and unbolt it, cut just below the glass roof and crane away to fenced off work area to chip/load this of course all depends on the condition of the palm. Then using the platform slice n dice the palm below the glass roof level.

Remove the decking around the base of the palm cut below floor level leave the stump relay new decking.

The job could be carried out over a 2/3/4 nights.

Oh, and price in enough new ply wood and foams to last the rest of your working life............................:D

Last edited:
kinda easy

either a genie lift or a bucket truck with mats 3m= about 9ft. enough for a bucket barely. Make small peices and boom them down in the basket. I do a few jobs a year where people leave trees and build around them never thinking about what if the tree dies, talk about stupid.

Hi ekka, We did a very similar removal of a dead canary island date palm indoors in a big glass domed bistro area of hotel. there were tiled floors all around with the tree growing in a recessed grid. We used a small scissor lift and went up and down with a few chunks at a time. had it down and used drop sheets so clean up was quick n easy. We had to be out by 11am so they can open for the lunch crowd. Then back the next morning to grind the stump and prune the remaining 3. Job went well and the money on it was good:rockn:

Hi Ekka,
I know you already know this but do your homework,explore your options document exactly what you expect the owner to do regarding access and interruption to his business after all its his problem that has gotten out of hand..price it profitably,but fairly..etc...etc...and if you cant see yourself winning on this let some over,for the want of a better word...fool, do this,the liability for this one literally goes thru the roof,pardon the pun!..just remember once your signed your signed and they won't care what problems you encounter along the way,be careful Ekka.Maybe a cherry picker and chunk approach lowered with a block and porty..there's probably a few good option at hand just pick the one that promises optimal profit to safety ratio.
All The Best

Bet I know those Phoenix...

trevmcrev said:
Hi ekka, We did a very similar removal of a dead canary island date palm indoors in a big glass domed bistro area of hotel. there were tiled floors all around with the tree growing in a recessed grid. We used a small scissor lift and went up and down with a few chunks at a time. had it down and used drop sheets so clean up was quick n easy. We had to be out by 11am so they can open for the lunch crowd. Then back the next morning to grind the stump and prune the remaining 3. Job went well and the money on it was good:rockn:

Reckon I might have pruned them a few years ago... Do they still serve scones in the morning there for the early "Pokies" crowd?

Latest posts

Back