Hey everybody new member sayin hi and needing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onpoint

Reaction score
Hey everybody I'm new to the forum and kinda new to " professional" tree work. So here's the deal, I used work on a farm then I was a hunting guide for an outfitter for a few years and now I'm a tree climber. The way I got into this business is kinda odd. I sell a lot of firewood through the winter and a guy I sell to had some white oaks he was wanting cut so I was over there with my wife doin that a couple months ago and a bucket truck was workin across the road. One of the trees he wanted removed needed to be pulled so I shimmied about 40 feet up this tree with that had no branches to get a rope around it to pull it over and next thing I know that crew foreman come over and was like " hey we need a climber you want a job"? Im not on a bucket, they put me on a manual crew with a few other climbers. So there ya have it. I've since discovered theres easier ways to get a rope in a tree. Iol. Anyways i still have a lot to learn but I guess I'm doin pretty good. I love the work I do and I learn somethin new every day. Took me a couple days to gettin used to climbing with spikes but I love em now. Sure beats bear huggin your way up the tree. Anyway what I'm needing advice on is a saddle. They give me one to use and I think it's a weaver. I'll post a pic of one that looks similar. The only difference in the pic I'm gonna post is that mine has a butt strap. My boss said I don't wanna get one that has a floating bridge, he said you move around to much with them that they ain't as solid. I dont know nothin about em, I've only ever used this one they give me. So what's a good saddle to get without spending an arm and a leg. I clear power line right of ways. Sometimes I just gotta go up and do a side trim. But there's times I'm hanging a lot too. Here's the pic of the one like im using except mine has the butt strap. I work 10 hour shifts and all I do is climb so I wanna be as comfortable and maneuverable as possible. Thanks
AAC22249-B0CA-4605-8B51-50F18599C4E1-5008-0000043EC0C7A598_zps2a22ba77.jpg

Is the floating bridge or 4 dee better? What are the pros and cons of each? I've only ever used the 4 dee like in the picture above. I'm needing to buy one to have at home for side jobs.

A rope bridge is definitely the way to go for several reasons. It allows your attachment point to move to the side, which is very nice for limbwalking. With a 4d I always found my lifeline either riding my neck or up under my armpit as I exrended out on a limb. Another advantageto the design is that the weight is distributed much more equally between the waist belt and leg straps, and most new saddles allow adjustment to suit your preference. The pther nice thing about the new designs are that your legs can move independently. Hope this helps.

Is the floating bridge or 4 dee better? What are the pros and cons of each? I've only ever used the 4 dee like in the picture above. I'm needing to buy one to have at home for side jobs.

The floating dee rings are great and if you ever used one you'd never use anything else alot eaiser when moving around in tree's.I found when using the standard fixed rings my rope is always in my way :rolleyes2:

useful tool

Dude, wish I had discovered the tool called the Sidekick when I was starting out. You might do well to get one as it dramatically increases safety aloft as well as efficientcy/productivity. equals more $$/hr.
Also slings and beans combined with micro pulley's. All pretty cheap.

Back