Hickory Snag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beyond 0.025"? I set them every few sharpenings, or if I have to take a lot off to repair a cutter or something. I dunno - the chain pulls fine in less hard stuff, and I'm worried it would be too much load then (it's only 46cc).

Right. Don't randomly hack metal off the depth gauges, to take them below .025" I tried that ONCE, with a well-used chain fortunately. The chain acted like it hit arresting gear, stress-testing crank. I'll never do that again.

One thing I really like about Granberg filing guide is the ability to precisely set depth gauges. Dial has a "bump" for each .010".

Once depth gauges are too low, you can't add on. You done did the pooch.

Looked and sounded good. Couldn't see chip size clearly, might have been an eeny small. Chain speed was good, and it's hickory, it is hard dense wood.
Yeah, it really is hard stuff, and I don't cut it much so I've been experimenting. Usually I'm cutting ash and oak.

Both of those chains were sharp, but they are both 0.325" and full kerf - the width is the same as full 3/8. The saws running 3/8 lo pro had less trouble with it, and a larger saw with full 3/8 worked OK too - it seems to be a challenge to get a light, high rpm saw to bite into it and pull a full kerf. Although the saw definitely cut faster when I could get the dogs in and load it more (it's only a 10.1lb powerhead).

Right. Don't randomly hack metal off the depth gauges, to take them below .025" I tried that ONCE, with a well-used chain fortunately. The chain acted like it hit arresting gear, stress-testing crank. I'll never do that again.

One thing I really like about Granberg filing guide is the ability to precisely set depth gauges. Dial has a "bump" for each .010".

Once depth gauges are too low, you can't add on. You done did the pooch.
I've never tried going below 0.025", due to too many stories like yours. Most of my saws are considered to be over-barred anyway by AS standards and they hardly need more loading usually.

I got all the hickory out and stacked at the edge of the field (it was not very accessible). It made a tidy pile:
Hickory Pile-800JPG.jpeg
The smaller stack on the right has been split for 9 months.

I got all the hickory out and stacked at the edge of the field (it was not very accessible). It made a tidy pile:
View attachment 370874
The smaller stack on the right has been split for 9 months.

I can almost detect the fragrance of that hickory from the picture. Good thing for you that you don't tell us where it is. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back