Hickory staff ID and suggestios

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101recon

Reaction score
I cut this piece of hickory today from the smaller side of a tree fork, but can't determine what kind. I'm pretty sure it's either mockernut or shagbark, but not sure which. Both sides of the fork are fairly young (around 20 - 30 years). At the largest point it is about 2 inches in diameter. I plan to make a hiking staff from it. I would be very thankful for an ID. I've made a few walking sticks and canes out of cedar and oak before, but nothing as large as a staff, and I've never worked with hickory. I've sealed the ends with wax and hung up for drying for at least a year. I am looking to make a staff able to help me get across creeks and ditches and other obstacles because I'm not as young as I used to be. Any advice as to drying with bark on or off, fire hardening, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 854712View attachment 854713View attachment 854714View attachment 854715View attachment 854716

I'm pretty sure it's not shagbark. Your leaf shows 7 parts. Shagbark has 5. The bud should tell you as well. Study pics of shagbark buds vs. other varieties. Shagbark bud is distinctive.

Back