HIckory Trees dieing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_Peacock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A buddy of mine at work has several hickory trees in his yard. I've already cut down 2 of them that were sick or already dead due to bugs / worms. He came to me this morning saying that another hickory is giving up it's life and is wondering what is causing his trees to die. I thought I'd ask here, but before you ask, I haven't seen the standing tree yet and have no real clue what is causing it to be sick. Just looking for pointers or advice.

A buddy of mine at work has several hickory trees in his yard. I've already cut down 2 of them that were sick or already dead due to bugs / worms. He came to me this morning saying that another hickory is giving up it's life and is wondering what is causing his trees to die. I thought I'd ask here, but before you ask, I haven't seen the standing tree yet and have no real clue what is causing it to be sick. Just looking for pointers or advice.
I had three die on me and they were all from them :censored:beetles. They will kill one in a hurry, Their larvae eats all the inside bark out and they die. Since your from arkansas, you may have the same problem.

Well, one of the trees I cut down for him was eat up on the inside by beetles. Looked like a severe mine field in there. Holes were bored all through the cambium layer and a ton just under the bark.

Is there a way to treat for this?

Well, one of the trees I cut down for him was eat up on the inside by beetles. Looked like a severe mine field in there. Holes were bored all through the cambium layer and a ton just under the bark.

Is there a way to treat for this?
mauject if there is any cambium layer left sounds like it was already to late

never heard of a hickory beetle that attacks healthy trees.

Most yard tree problems are caused by root abuse--grading, turf competition, nutrients robbed via raking and not replaced, etc.

never heard of a hickory beetle that attacks healthy trees.

Most yard tree problems are caused by root abuse--grading, turf competition, nutrients robbed via raking and not replaced, etc.
Don't know if there is such a bug either, I would notice holes in the trees while they were alive and the next year they would not leaf out and die. These were fairly old trees too. Probably 24 inches across. Nothing changed as far as soil goes or root abuse.

Nothing was planted to compete for the nutrients either. One tree got the beetles in it and every year one died for three years. When i cut the trunk up they were infested with beetle larvae and a few beetles were under the bark too.

mauject if there is any cambium layer left sounds like it was already to late

really? Without positive identification of the target pest how could you make this call? Maybe the cause is abiotic and you would be drilling holes in the tree and injecting pesticides unneccesarily. It can be said that borers are opportunistic. That would indicate to me that there is a primary stress that needs correcting before you dewalt the tree.

A less invasive and more effective strategy would be to study your target pest. Have the causal agent identified to learn as much as possible about the pathogen, specificaly when it is most susceptible to the least toxic method of control. Think threshold.

Bill for your efforts. Having samples diagnosed by a pathologist costs money. Pass the cost plus your fee on to the customer.

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles..." who said that? Mr. Tzu said that.

Don't know if there is such a bug either, I would notice holes in the trees while they were alive and the next year they would not leaf out and die. These were fairly old trees too. Probably 24 inches across. Nothing changed as far as soil goes or root abuse.

Nothing was planted to compete for the nutrients either. One tree got the beetles in it and every year one died for three years. When i cut the trunk up they were infested with beetle larvae and a few beetles were under the bark too.

The trees that died in my buddy's yard were on the back side of his property. Nothing back there but more pasture land. Nothing to disturb or fight for nutrients but the pasture grass which has been there since the trees were.

If I can find the little buggers in his now sick tree, I'll see if I can get a picture and get a positive ID on it.

Back