High efficiency fireplace or wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think that I am strongly leaning towards a free standing stove. I just need to narrow down a model. I would like a stove with tight clearances to cumbustables. What do people think of the Quadrafires. Or should I go with a cast stove like the Jotul.

I've heard really, really good things about Woodstock soapstone stoves.

pick a stove manuf. in the drop down
usually more then one personal review, great info here..

http://**********/ratings/search.php

did the dollar bill test on my fireplacex. have air leaks in the bottoms of both doors. i tightend the latch end of last season according to the manual by switching the washer positions. is it possible that the top is closing too tight leaving the bottom open? or is it possible that the doors are warped from possible over-firing? the gasket seems undamaged at the bottom of the doors

Do you get the range of adjustment on your air control? When I slide mine to the right it looks like I put the fire out but it is burning very slowly. How old is the unit?

the unit is from spring of 2006. the fire does not nearly look extinguished when i move the air control to the right. the dollar bill encountered almost no friction at the bottom of the doors

Check the gasket first and then put a level across the doors and the firebox to check for flatness. If warped you have a warranty issue.

i spent about 2 minutes this morning doing the dollar test, and i ran a level acroos the bottoms of the doors. it looked flat. i will open the doors and test each individually with the level. this morning i just ran acroos them both when they were closed with the levels

QuadraFire

I have had a QuadraFire 3100 step top in my basement for the last 8 years or so... I have about 2000 sq. ft of cape cod to heat. It does a very good job. I have registers in the floor to let the cold air drop back into the basement and push the hot air up the stairwell. It burns very clean. Stay away from stoves with a catalytic element. Todays non cat stoves burn clean without it. One less problem to arise. The stove has heat shields built onto it, the stove can be burning 650 degrees, and the back and sides are at a safe temp. The heat is rising straight up off the top of the stove. Nice looking stove too. I have the Queen Ann legs on it, with the step top it looks like an old time stove. I have the ash drawer option under the stove too. This is a big help getting the ash out. Glass door on the front stays clean with the way the airwash design built into the stove keeps the glass clean. Firebrick in the stove has held up well too. We burn around 10-12 cords through it each season... I think, I don't buy it, all I know is I start out with a huge pile of wood and end up with scattered pieces on flat ground. You won't go wrong with the Quad.

I have had a QuadraFire 3100 step top in my basement for the last 8 years or so... I have about 2000 sq. ft of cape cod to heat. It does a very good job. I have registers in the floor to let the cold air drop back into the basement and push the hot air up the stairwell. It burns very clean. Stay away from stoves with a catalytic element. Todays non cat stoves burn clean without it. One less problem to arise. The stove QUOTE]

hey no dissing the Catalytic stoves !!
actually SawS secondary combustion w/a catalyic element is great. its not simply for epa/clean burn, but also greatly extends burn time by over 50% per load when done right and yes no smoke, and a nice roasting sweet smell outside.
Your stove accomplishes sort of the same secondary burn using the tubes up top when you reach optimum temp and damper down.
both systems require attention, cleaning and replacment. on a cat brick normal time is ~6 yrs from what i understand.
both systems are great. you however do get a better flame show.

Go Cat

Catalytic stoves are more efficient and give off less particulates than non-cats. We have used both for years. Yes, there is maintenance on both; but the cat needs cleaning at least 2X/year, and if you're heating 100% with wood 24/7 in a northern state( NOT just "up from" the thermostat at 65 F :confused: ), the cat will need replacement every 2-3 years. Not a big deal with the fuel savings even buying wood CSD (cut split delivered). Cats have a timed replacement cost. Buying one @ $150 every 3 years still saves over time. Catalytic combustors are rated in burning hours +/- 10K. Over about 10 years with cats I've found that 2-3 years is about their usuable life...forget 6 years.

Non cats were developed because either dealers and manufacturers didn't instruct users how cat stoves operate, or customers became lazy, or both.

Don't be put off by the cat operation: it's not a big deal. Just load, get the stove up to temperature, engage the cat with a damper (in most cat stoves), allow the temp to go up again, then adjust the air control where you need it. It's a two part operation that's all. With the non cat the process is a single step. The cat stove will run easily 2X on a load compared to the non cat.

BUT: our cat stove heating a similar area uses ~2/3 the wood that the non cat uses. Apples to apples in heat, in time, in amount of wood.

We got a cat stove when they first were developed by the original Vermont Castings. It cut our cord wood by at least 1/2, made the flue squeaky clean, and less smoke and particulates.

Woodstock in VT has a good rep in cat stoves as well as an ironclad warranty and trial use. We have an Oslo non cat ( 3rd winter) , and a Encore cat ( 7th winter).

Spend the money on a new stove. If you think about the cost over time, the extra $$$$ saved on possible hassles with a used stove aren't worth it. Find a good , knowledgable dealer. Fondle the stoves, ask about owners and any problems, get references. Check out hearthnet for evaluations. Same for firearms, chainsaws, women. :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back