High temp adhesives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody912

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone ever used high temp metal adhesives in place of brazing or welding a muffler? My 2 lower bolts are broke off in the casing so I use the internal bolts to attacher muffler with access holes drilled in the front. I have tried welding the front half of the muffler in place but it ends up cracking around the perimeter of the welds. Just bought a new muffler, thought I might try a different approach. Have found some of these which are rated for 2400 degrees which is almost molten steel.

I’ld be more worried about the pressure of the exhaust blowing the adhesive off or blowing a hole thru it. The adhesive won’t be supported on 2 sides as if used in a normal assembly.

I’ld be more worried about the pressure of the exhaust blowing the adhesive off or blowing a hole thru it. The adhesive won’t be supported on 2 sides as if used in a normal assembly.

I plan on having enough holes in the muffler to keep exhaust pressure to a minimum! I bought this saw as a backup not realizing it had broken bolts, I mostly saw when the temp is below 20 degrees and I am not worried about logs catching on fire!!!!

I would be surprised if it lasted long at all. Most of the over the counter high temp stuff is brittle after cooking, not usually good for big temp differences between adhered surfaces.

Might try posting a photo of the problem bolts, lots of folks on here remove lots of broken bolts regularly. Seems to go hand in hand with chainsaw repairs.

If the area around the bolts is thick enough, bore them out with a steel tube with teeth cut in the end and then tap for an insert or oversized bolt. Works in plastic and mag cases.

Interesting. I have seen some high temp pastes but they aren’t really adhesives. It seems like it might be too good to be true. OR maybe just what the doctor ordered. Let us know how it works out.

This is the first I've heard of these two products and I was quite interested. However, in reading lots of reviews on both the J B Weld and Blue Magic Quick Steel products, I came away with the idea that these work well for crack sealing (e.g. exhaust manifolds), but do not have good adhesive properties or tensile strength. Also, once opened to air, the whole amount has to be used or discarded. I would think a few spot welds around the periphery of the muffler where the two halves joined would be more effective.

This is the first I've heard of these two products and I was quite interested. However, in reading lots of reviews on both the J B Weld and Blue Magic Quick Steel products, I came away with the idea that these work well for crack sealing (e.g. exhaust manifolds), but do not have good adhesive properties or tensile strength. Also, once opened to air, the whole amount has to be used or discarded. I would think a few spot welds around the periphery of the muffler where the two halves joined would be more effective.

pretty much what we did last time, put pins in the lower corner holes and then spot welds. They all cracked around the periphery of the welds. That muffler was used so have to consider the steel was permeated with oil etc. Discovered the all or none when I bought the adhesive yesterday. Have a brand new muffler this time, will clean it with brake cleaner before gluing. It's only money and I might learn something new.

I would be curious as to shelf life of the remainder of that glue, once you've opened it.
Also if the container was only open long enough to get out the glue that was used
and then recapped tightly.
Was it a high humidity time where the glue was opened?
I wonder if storage in a freezer (dry, cold air) would make much difference?
edit: I can just see someone reaching into the freezer to dispense a bit of this stuff, almost like a fume hood procedure.
I guess it would sorta keep you in the lower humidity. lol

heat and dry some of those silica gel packs from dope bottles
and have them ready to toss into the glue bottle?

just simply wondering if there is a way for this stuff can be opened and re-closed to allow time to handle a couple of jobs spread across a few days.
And what (relatively easy) tricks might help.

IF it stick, when properly applied, to a properly prepped surface.
This might be interesting for fixing a few exhaust port maladies!

I would be curious as to shelf life of the remainder of that glue, once you've opened it.
Also if the container was only open long enough to get out the glue that was used
and then recapped tightly.
Was it a high humidity time where the glue was opened?
I wonder if storage in a freezer (dry, cold air) would make much difference?
heat and dry some of those silica gel packs from dope bottles
and have them ready to toss into the glue bottle?

just simply wondering if there is a way for this stuff can be opened and re-closed to allow time to handle a couple of jobs spread across a few days.
And what (relatively easy) tricks might help.

IF it stick, when properly applied, to a properly prepped surface.
This might be interesting for fixing a few exhaust port maladies!

I am going to do an old and new muffler so I will probably use it all anyway. And might throw a few weld tacs on top of it to boot! I'll report in a few days. Going to prep my front access holes in a few minutes. Last one was seat of my pants, gonna try harder this time

Latest posts

Back