High volume Firewood sellers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler259

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey a couple questions.

When you started selling firewood did you have your own tree care business where you got the logs from, or how did you acquire them?

When did you begin to start buying log lengths and processing them?

Just basically looking at the feasibility of firewood sales and how to grow the business.

Any input from you guys small or large is appreciated.

Thanks

I was thinking the same as you are a while back.

My thought was to buy tree length wood delivered and I would cut and split it.

Then I thought about all the handling, storage and keeping it dry was another problem.
It takes a lot of room too.

I finally passed on it, but I guess if I was going to do it it would have to be on a large scale
to make it pay.

I'm not even sure that's the right way ? :msp_unsure:

different out west

You guys have it a bit rougher to get supply of logs.
Out here, things are a bit different.

Last year, we sold 250 cords, and almost a thousand firewood bundles.

traditionally we get a "cut" from forest service, then I met a gentlemen who will drop semi loads in the yard. Game on:rock:

I prefer to have a cut going on as well as the loads. There is precious little to be gained, and a lot can be lost if not very careful.

-Pat

Hey a couple questions.

When you started selling firewood did you have your own tree care business where you got the logs from, or how did you acquire them?

When did you begin to start buying log lengths and processing them?

Just basically looking at the feasibility of firewood sales and how to grow the business.

Any input from you guys small or large is appreciated.

Thanks

I think that any wood acquired from a tree service should be considered a bonus at best if you are looking at a high volume business. It is going to be in odd lengths, odd species, and there is liable to be a fair bit of junk in the wood. I think tree service wood would be awesome if I had a tub grinder and could get it for free and sell it as mulch.

I do believe truckloads of log length are the way to go. You need to consider the price of the end product in your area, the price of the log lengths in your area, the price of processing, advertising, insuring, delivering, etc. and then take a good hard look and see if there is any profit left in the deal.

If your intention is to be a high volume firewood seller, your business should be focused on processing and selling firewood, not on cutting down trees and hanging out in the woods. There is no way your old Ford and Wild Thing can produce wood as efficiently as a harvester and forwarder.

Sell more than one product. Bulk heating wood, recreational wood, bundled wood, specialty wood, cooking wood, etc. The more lines you have in the water, the more likely you are to get a bite.

You can make money and have a good time doing it selling firewood as a "hobby", but you better have your ducks in a row if you're going to do it for a living.

:cheers:

I think that any wood acquired from a tree service should be considered a bonus at best if you are looking at a high volume business. It is going to be in odd lengths, odd species, and there is liable to be a fair bit of junk in the wood. I think tree service wood would be awesome if I had a tub grinder and could get it for free and sell it as mulch.

I do believe truckloads of log length are the way to go. You need to consider the price of the end product in your area, the price of the log lengths in your area, the price of processing, advertising, insuring, delivering, etc. and then take a good hard look and see if there is any profit left in the deal.

If your intention is to be a high volume firewood seller, your business should be focused on processing and selling firewood, not on cutting down trees and hanging out in the woods. There is no way your old Ford and Wild Thing can produce wood as efficiently as a harvester and forwarder.

Sell more than one product. Bulk heating wood, recreational wood, bundled wood, specialty wood, cooking wood, etc. The more lines you have in the water, the more likely you are to get a bite.

You can make money and have a good time doing it selling firewood as a "hobby", but you better have your ducks in a row if you're going to do it for a living.

:cheers:

+1 on the above.

Above all, do your homework before you start especially if you are considering processing equipment. Make sure you are being realistic on costs and allow for unseen events like weather, commodity price fluctuations, breakdowns.

Be realistic about your personal skills, strengths, weaknesses. Are you a good/bad salesperson? Good/bad mechanic? Good/bad fitness level?

There is no one formula for success because each regional market is different. There are some good examples of successful volume sellers on here, both urban and rural, read up their posts. Be creative, try multiple advertising tactics aimed at different types of customers.

wood

hi my friend has a tree co most times i go get the wood and other times he drops off with grapple . iwould look around for a small tree guy and see if it works out

truckloads are great. very convenient and easy to process. but..... they take a big chunk out of your margin. you need to determine what it costs you to get the equivalent amount of comparable wood, then you'll know whether you should be buying truckloads are going to get the wood yourself.

in my area cords sell for $160ish. i can buy 8 foot logs for between $80-$100 per cord by the truckload. that leaves $60-$80 of margin for the other expenses to consume.

tree service wood can be a good way to get started IF you are getting decent wood to work with. assume you will get big, fat and ugly logs/chunks that are basically leftovers no one else wanted (unless you are paying for it). if you have no other wood or just a lot of time, then maybe this is perfect for you.

bottom line: selling firewood is not an easy way to make a living; its better than some alternative but a lot worse than others.

truckloads are great. very convenient and easy to process. but..... they take a big chunk out of your margin. you need to determine what it costs you to get the equivalent amount of comparable wood, then you'll know whether you should be buying truckloads are going to get the wood yourself.

in my area cords sell for $160ish. i can buy 8 foot logs for between $80-$100 per cord by the truckload. that leaves $60-$80 of margin for the other expenses to consume.

tree service wood can be a good way to get started IF you are getting decent wood to work with. assume you will get big, fat and ugly logs/chunks that are basically leftovers no one else wanted (unless you are paying for it). if you have no other wood or just a lot of time, then maybe this is perfect for you.

bottom line: selling firewood is not an easy way to make a living; its better than some alternative but a lot worse than others.

Location, location, location.....To the north of me you can buy firewood for $150 a cord, cut split, seasoned, delivered. To the south of me the same product goes for $300+. If I'm buying logs at $80 a cord delivered, and selling them at $300 a cord delivered, there is a bit of profit to be had there. Research your local market and see if there is profit to be had in your area. You may find that it is just not suited for where you are at.

processor

We haul log loads to a friend for his processor.We have a 66 ford F-600 and the loads have been 12 foot long,7 foot wide and 6 foot high.Ha has been cutting about 8-8 1/2 face cords of firewood out of it,17 inches long is what he has the processor set for.We pay about$125 a load on the landing,sell to him for $200-$225 depending on the distance and he has been selling his product for $65 pfc delivered in 8 face cord loads.He cuts and sells about 16 cord a day when busy.Pays one guy to run the processor,he doesn't make a lot but mostly cash so that helps,not his only living also runs a woodmizer

You'll have a tough time making a livng if your just selling to homeowners. You have to find the markets others aren't doing. Everybody with a truck and a saw is cutting wood these days. Tree sewrvice wood is tough unless you have the rigth splitter to deal with it. Tree companys that produce a lot of wood have big chippers. The chip everything under 20". So everything you have is big wood that comes in odd sizes.

Scott

I have been in the firewood business part time for about 10 years. I have learned that paying for logs does not give enough profit, because log load pricing goes up when cord wood is up. Usually leaving 50 bucks after all expenses. I have found that keeping your eyes and ears open is best. Take on any job you can to get free wood. Ive picked it up on the side of the road,right behind power company clearing the lines. Clearing the edges of fields. Now I'm clearing about 3 acres for a friend. I do it for the wood to keep my customers happy. Only buy wood to keep repeat customers happy,when that is the only option. I have bought logs when some was clearing land a mile away from me, I made a deal with them for a bunch of loads so my profit went up. I now do 75 plus cord with 90percent of the wood at no cost. Not a bad way to make cash on the weekend.

well i have Ben in the wood business for 38 years now i sell over 100 cords a year it go for 200 dump and 75 extra stacked we also have a 24 hr wood pick up works well i do not by my wood its just from tree work
15s5sph.jpg
the last bin is 50.00 pick up we make over 4000 a year with it
168ve5s.jpg

Back