Hinge Width on Heavy Leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanThorCro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys & girls.

I wanna ask about hinge size on heavy leaners.

I have a 30 inch hardwood, (I don’t know the species) with 6 to 8 feet of lean in the 1st 18’ of tree. From there the tree straightens out to vertical with multiple stems for another 30 plus feet. The root plate has lifted 8”, about 8 feet from the tree in a semi-circle opposite the lean.

Recently I have been introduced to the idea that the weight of a leaner may crush an otherwise properly sized hinge and possibly even trap your saw during the plunge while setting the hinge width. Looking at this tree I envision about a 3 – 3.5” hinge, IF it was vertical.

To that end I mentally settled on about a 6” - 8” hinge. That’s if the tree is solid…

Are my concerns about the width of the hinge and desire to leave a larger hinge, roughly 6” - 8”, in the ballpark? Or does this hinge sound too big?

Looking at this tree, once the holding wood of the trigger is cut, it’s gonna fall to earth like that asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs.

Theres a near 100% chance I will NOT be felling this tree and I’m OK with that. At this point I have zero time operating a saw with a 28” bar. At 5’8” \ 155lbs I may be pushing it with a 70 cc saw and a long bar. I’m better off getting acquainted with a larger saw with some wood already on the ground. Give me a chance to practice that plunge cut prior to working on a standing tree…

And no this will not be my 1st tree with a strong lean and root plate issue. Successfully dropped an 18” hardwood with a strong lean using a bore cut to set the hinge and left a strap (trigger) for the release. Cutting that strap, sounded the POP that declared it was time to get the hell outta dodge… “Run Scott Run”.

Have a great day fella’s.

I make my face-cut 1/5 of the diameter deep, then leave 1/5 for the hinge, bore cut 2/5, and that leaves 1/5 as my trigger.

I use the same technique. 7

I do something similar on smaller leaners, myself. It's just the size and weight difference on a 30" heavy leaner that drives my question on the hinge width. More research... Thanks for the reply fella's. :D

I wouldn't go too crazy with a thick hinge on a leaner like you described. If it's healthy wood 3-4 inches still does the job without increasing the risk to the sawer. The last thing you want to do is leave a 8" hinge and have the tree chair or it not go over and then you need to go back in to nip the hinge. Especially if you are falling in the direction of lean, use 3-4". JMO

I wouldn't go too crazy with a thick hinge on a leaner like you described. If it's healthy wood 3-4 inches still does the job without increasing the risk to the sawer. The last thing you want to do is leave a 8" hinge and have the tree chair or it not go over and then you need to go back in to nip the hinge. Especially if you are falling in the direction of lean, use 3-4". JMO

I'm not a pro but I do normal hinge via bore cut and leave plenty of meat in the back to nip. With arms fully extended and one foot out the door!

+1
Leaving a large hinge on a leaner is asking for the tree to chair.

Should I find myself with a large leaner like this I'll go with a near normal sized hinge. I did not think about a larger hinge actually causing a barber chair, but that makes sense. And Woody I like the 1 foot out the door. :D

Latest posts

Back