His & Hers "dead Saw" Rebuild - FAIL!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
safety glasses, and a tenus shot . if i don't getem in the first shot or too take a break for 10 min . remember to take a picture put up on the wall . i put a little oil on berring and pin,that makes fer fun.john t keep in mind how good its gonna be when it snaps all the way home , yes

Last edited:
:cheers: WE GOT 'EM IN! :cheers:

I filed a little groove in a small screwdriver, hoping it would work better than Sunday night's needlenose attempt...

I held the circlip in place with my left index finger and worked the little rascal in with the end of the notched screwdriver...

And BINGO! they went right in with a little "click".

Man, was I happy! I haven't been this happy since the USFS let us cut 30 cords on a $30.00 wood permit!

Having put in the circlips in both saws (the 440 and 066) we went ahead and set the cylinders. The cheesey looking ring compressor from Bailey's worked like a charm...even with the 066 big bore kit (56mm) the largest ring in the kit worked sweet.

Here's the 440, in progress, with our now "dedicated circlip screwdriver" and the ring compression tools:

attachment.php

So I want to thank everyone who posted their helpful replies on this thread...I'm gonna Rep all of ya, it just might take a few days...

We knew you could do it, looks great too. Did you repaint the cases?

Thanks Randy, and Yep, we repainted them...they were both REALLY thrashed. When we are totaly done, I would like to post the "before" and "after" pics...because both these saws were literally headed for the dumpster.
Mrs. Bounty Hunter is really getting happy with her 440...it's coming around really nice now, and should be a really sweet + - 78cc saw.
I'm really stoked on the 066 rebuild, and plan on making it our new primary felling saw...it already has the full-wrap handle.
The paint we used is a oil-based exterior enamel for metal, and we applied it with an air brush, set at 40 psi. The color looks a little white in the photo, but it seems to be a dead-on match for the original Stihl color.

We have enjoyed the whole experience...frustrations and all...and now we have so much more of an understanding of how saws work. Plus it's been a great "his & hers" project...I love that. In the end, we will have saws with a special significance to them, because of what we invested...much more so than if we simply bought new saws. And what's more, I enjoy the interaction we have had with our Brothers and Sisters on ArboristSite...who have helped us along the way as well...that's priceless.

Bounty Hunter

I hate them...

I love my Stihl saws but I HATE those wrist pin clips. Some of the aftermarket pistons come with clips that have looped ends. Just used an Episan piston (very nice also I might add) on a saw and the clips took the
aggravation out of the top end rebuild. Otherwise, I'm headed over to notch a screw driver or 2. THANKS :dizzy:

:cheers: WE GOT 'EM IN! :cheers:

I filed a little groove in a small screwdriver, hoping it would work better than Sunday night's needlenose attempt...

I held the circlip in place with my left index finger and worked the little rascal in with the end of the notched screwdriver...

And BINGO! they went right in with a little "click".

Man, was I happy! I haven't been this happy since the USFS let us cut 30 cords on a $30.00 wood permit!

Having put in the circlips in both saws (the 440 and 066) we went ahead and set the cylinders. The cheesey looking ring compressor from Bailey's worked like a charm...even with the 066 big bore kit (56mm) the largest ring in the kit worked sweet.

Here's the 440, in progress, with our now "dedicated circlip screwdriver" and the ring compression tools:

attachment.php

So I want to thank everyone who posted their helpful replies on this thread...I'm gonna Rep all of ya, it just might take a few days...

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let the clips get ya!

Hey wait a minute, how did my craftsman screwdriver get to California. Man, one to Canada, one to California. Must be the weather here in fly over country.

Congrats, you and the boss are gonna love em.

:cheers:

how bout a pic of the notch on the carb screwdriver. btw, I always just use the edge of the screwdriver. maybe i'll try the notch. thanks kmswr for resurrecting this thread. some good stuff here.

Latest posts

Back