His & Hers "Dead Saw" Rebuild - MS440: SHE'S ALIVE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
CHEVYTOWN said it was gonna happen, and it did...Mrs. Bounty Hunter finished her 440 build, done up and running, while my busted-azz 066 still sits on the workbench.

Laugh all you want CHEVY, But I am rejoycing with my wife, who did an outstanding job on her 440 rebuild. As some who follow the project know, it started out a dead saw the dealer didn't want. It had a scored piston and cylinder, a broken rear handle, missing plastic and covers, completely shot main bearings (their rusted remains fell out when we split the cases), shot seals, cracked impulse line, leaking fuel tank, missing bolts and screws...

attachment.php

At least the fuel tank breather was still good!:givebeer:

So after the crank bearings and seals, she assembled the cases. She got a "Big Bore" piston and cylinder kit from Bailey's, which worked great even though we had a heck of a time with the wrist pin circlips.

The paint is a color-matched oil enamel, applied with an airbrush. Linda is really good at painting, as she paints ceramics for a hobby too. The cases and the flywheel cover all got new paint, and the muffler was treated to a high-heat paint from Ace Hardware...the paint has to be baked on, so about 30 minutes on the woodstove did the trick...a nice, satin finish that is almost ceramic feeling.

She went with a 28" Rollomatic bar, and a 7 pin rim sprocket. She needed a new cluth cover, bar studs and nuts, new engine shroud and air filter cover.

In the end, we figured it out...she spent on parts $583.00 including the $100.00 for the dead saw originally. Can you buy a good running 440 for that or less? ...Probably...

But the experience she had rebuilding this saw, learning how everything works and fits together...priceless.

Linda now has an awesome saw, she built HERSELF, that is all her own.
The satisfaction of starting it up for the first time, and knowing SHE DID IT! is really wonderful for us both...It's been a fun project on so many levels...
I won't forget that smile she had when that 440 roared to life...

Here's Linda's 440...Alive and well now!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for all the help and encouragement along the way...ArboristSite Rocks! :rockn:

I don't even see the Xs.

Tried to rep you for your wife, but it won't let me. Have to spread it around more.

Where do I buy a set of dogs like you have on that saw?

man that is awesome, Im jealous and not of the saw. Wish I could get my wife that into saws with me,lol.

Now if you had not said that was a rebuilt saw, I would have thought you guys were showing off your brand new saw.

Great job doesn't really say enough...that's awesome.

I would be willing to bet you couldnt find a 440 in as good/ or better condition than the one you built for the same price. no way. Awesome saw. I bet it would rip with a 8 pin sprocket with a 28 inch bar with the BB kit especially.

Latest posts

Back