hitch climber pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david miller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
the 1 from sherrill the 3 hole pulley and set up they show on pg 50 i try useing this set up, the problem i have is the spliced eye and biner from the climbing rope and the hitch lay so tight together that it sometimes keeps the hitch from grasping the rope, (the hitch is a eye to eye useing ether distel or swhwabish. other wise this is a great set up, thanks for any reply

know this is an old post - guess i'm behind the times but, just got my 1st one of these (stein skywalker) , been using VT with micropulley forever it seems. use double-fisherman's as termination. noticed the same problem described above. also that the setup doesn't work well unless you have a ring on your bridge. everything seems to be turned the wrong way when clipping straight into the bridge.

so question, these multi-holed micro pulleys only work with spliced end on climbing line? any workaround...suggestions? really tired of getting my tricep skin and belly pinched between two biners :) leaves a nasty bruise. kinda thought this was the answer.

They work best with a spliced end. If using a knot you can run a short sling from the pulley(via a caribiner) to your termination knot (again via a caribiner)
Be sure its a rated sling and the shorter the better, you just want your knot to clear your hitch. Using the middle hole helps some too.

They work best with a spliced end. If using a knot you can run a short sling from the pulley(via a caribiner) to your termination knot (again via a caribiner)
Be sure its a rated sling and the shorter the better, you just want your knot to clear your hitch. Using the middle hole helps some too.

Thanks. I guess the only reason I've never had my climbing line eye spliced is fear of wear and tear. Do you just cut off the damaged portion of rope if the remainder is still good when the eye gets worn? Or is it even an issue?

I'll try your suggestion but not sure i understand. Am I adding 2 additional biners and a short sling, or am I connecting the sling between the 2 biners I'm already using?

Thanks again, Will

Thanks. I guess the only reason I've never had my climbing line eye spliced is fear of wear and tear. Do you just cut off the damaged portion of rope if the remainder is still good when the eye gets worn? Or is it even an issue?

I'll try your suggestion but not sure i understand. Am I adding 2 additional biners and a short sling, or am I connecting the sling between the 2 biners I'm already using?

Thanks again, Will

I'v never had a eye splice wear out before I felt it was time to retire my whole line. I have had to cut off my eye slice because of a cut or some accident. I use a fishermens knot then. It can keep the hitch from catching, but I'm pretty use to it so its not really a big issue. I just adjust it as needed.
Using the sling, in this order, hitch climber pulley, caribiner, sling,caribiner,rope. This is in place of the termination knot and caribiner. I get these slings from a rock climbing place, they're really short, 10'' and I gerth hitch them to the caribiners. Works OK, but a little to much metal for my taste on a day in day out basis.

I'v never had a eye splice wear out before I felt it was time to retire my whole line. I have had to cut off my eye slice because of a cut or some accident. I use a fishermens knot then. It can keep the hitch from catching, but I'm pretty use to it so its not really a big issue. I just adjust it as needed.
Using the sling, in this order, hitch climber pulley, caribiner, sling,caribiner,rope. This is in place of the termination knot and caribiner. I get these slings from a rock climbing place, they're really short, 10'' and I gerth hitch them to the caribiners. Works OK, but a little to much metal for my taste on a day in day out basis.

OK, I understand now. Do you always get your ropes spliced?

I'm still using my HC with a tied termination on my climb line...double fisherman's on a biner in the middle hole, the biner with my hitch cord is in the bottom hole.
A little more attention is needed to ensure the knot doesn't interfere with the hitch, but it is acceptable.
Running a 5wrap 2braid VT tied with 8mm HRC on XTC fire...I'm little and I don't weigh much, this seems to be working fine. Before I had 4wrap 1braid 10mm Ocean Pacific and it could get a little loose.

Splice would be nice, but you can work around without it.

Back