Hmmm? should?ve read the manual.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hmmm… should’ve read the manual.

Just happened to be perusing the Pacific Energy web site and click on the manual for my stove/firebox (I know, that's against the "guy code").
This is what I found under “Operating Tips”. Guess I’ve been doing it wrong!

Yeah… Yeah… I know Del, you told me so…

OPERATING TIPS
  • 1. Always use dry, seasoned firewood, up to 18" long. Load wood endwise, a mixture of large and small pieces, on top of a good ash base (1" minimum).
OK, so far - so good.

• 2. Operate on a medium to high setting, for up to 1 hour from cold start. After the initial warm up period, refuel and leave the air control on a medium setting for 5 to 10 minutes more and then set the air control to the desired position.
Set on high for up to an hour? After initial warm up (an hour?) reload (or top off the load) before turning the setting down?
Nope… been doing that all wrong. I’ve been giving it 20 minutes, sometimes maybe a bit more, initial warm up and turning down the control without topping off. Oh well, it’s gonna be cold this weekend… guess I’ll try doin’ it “by-the-book” and see.

• 3. If a slow burn is desired, set the air control to low. Active secondary burning should be present above the wood load. If it is not present or goes out shortly after, proper operating temperature has not been reached and the stove needs additional warm up time.
Blah Blah Blah… Blah

Sounds pretty close to what i do. Once you get the stove good and hot, reloads seem to go right into secondary. Good luck!

Sent from my XT881

Just happened to be perusing the Pacific Energy web site and click on the manual for my stove/firebox (I know, that's against the "guy code").
This is what I found under “Operating Tips”. Guess I’ve been doing it wrong!

Yeah… Yeah… I know Del, you told me so…

OPERATING TIPS
  • 1. Always use dry, seasoned firewood, up to 18" long. Load wood endwise, a mixture of large and small pieces, on top of a good ash base (1" minimum).
OK, so far - so good.

• 2. Operate on a medium to high setting, for up to 1 hour from cold start. After the initial warm up period, refuel and leave the air control on a medium setting for 5 to 10 minutes more and then set the air control to the desired position.
Set on high for up to an hour? After initial warm up (an hour?) reload (or top off the load) before turning the setting down?
Nope… been doing that all wrong. I’ve been giving it 20 minutes, sometimes maybe a bit more, initial warm up and turning down the control without topping off. Oh well, it’s gonna be cold this weekend… guess I’ll try doin’ it “by-the-book” and see.

• 3. If a slow burn is desired, set the air control to low. Active secondary burning should be present above the wood load. If it is not present or goes out shortly after, proper operating temperature has not been reached and the stove needs additional warm up time.
Blah Blah Blah… Blah

Doing things by the book is overrated IMO:hmm3grin2orange:

Back