Holiday by Pioneer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTermite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just received my long-deceased uncle's c1961 Holiday chainsaw by Pioneer. It is in pretty rough shape but I would like to restore it for use for sentimental reasons (if not just to have another saw).

I know most of you guys love your Stihls and Huskys and Macs, so this saw in and of itself isn't of much interest, but y'all seem to know your way around the inside of these things pretty darn well. If any of you could advise me how and where to start on a rebuild, I'd be awfully grateful.

The saw has an aftermarket bar on it, 16" I think, solid tip (no sprocket). The chain bears markings that appear to be "58 B", and appears to have been sharpened to hell and back. Don't know the engine size, has a Champion CJ8 sparkplug in the hole . . .

Any ideas will be appreciated.

:greenchainsaw:

Hey there Termite.

The first things you would want to do are fairly simple, clean out the tanks, clean the carb, check fuel lines for dryrot etc.

Then it will be time to fire the saw and see how (if) she runs. If it turns out that your saw is a runner then you could do a compression test or simply use the saw a little and see how it performs.

After you are sure you have something more than a doorstop, then you would spend some cashola on a clutch bell(if needed), new chain and a decent vintage bar that would fit, again if needed.

If there is more than these items that need repair then things can get a lil tricky as there is parts issues with these older saws. Parts can be found, mostly on ebay, but its a treasure hunt for sure.

If you need any help with the above steps, dont be afraid to ask.

Thanks!

I knew I could count on a Stihl guy.

I'll go with your plan and see if I can get her to fire. The pull cord is laying half in/half out, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. I got a line on an owners manual for this saw on eBay, $4.99+ shipping, and it'll probably have a parts diagram inside. I'm sure you're right about parts being scarce, even in its prime this probably wasn't a main line saw.

I'll do what I can, if I can't get it goin' for a reasonable amount I'll just clean 'er up and hang her from the shop ceiling, giving her an appropriate nod now and then.

Thanks again.:bang:

OldTermite: RBW is about as far away from Stihl country as it gets:laugh: Heck of a nice guy either way, just letting you know!!
Andy

Howdy.

I have rebuilt quite a few Pioneer saws and have some parts left over for the smaller P models that would likely fit the Holiday saw, see what you need and let me know. Also a pic of the saw would be nice. I love anything Pioneer and am currently trying to rebuild two Pioneer Farmsaws. Lots of expert advice here, many knowledgable folk who are more than willing to assist with any saw ?'s.

Doc

ok, if the saw doesnt have any air leaks, and has good compression, the furthest into a rebuild I'd go is just rebuild the carburetor, and new fuel lines and filter. maybe new air filter if you can managed to scare one up from someplace.

beyond that, and maybe cleaning the points you're not into a very complex project.

Latest posts

Back