???Hollow or Rotten inside???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So how can you tell if a tree is hollow or rotten inside when it looks healthy on the outside before you cut into it? I know you can thump it with a hammer, but you need a fine tuned ear for that. I man told my today that it would have barnacles growing on it if it was rotten inside. anyone ever heard of that?

the warning signs vary greatly by species. oaks will get smoother bark if theyre hollow or have rot inside. most trees will grow mushrooms or white fungus if theyre rotting inside. really depends on the type of tree. basswood and cottonwood sometimes wont show any signs other than maybe a twisted grain to the bark or signs of a buckling trunk with more than normal compression wood

Someone recently taught me a 'trick': bore vertically through the trunk, at about the height that you would make the felling cut.

Pay attention to the resistance of the cut as you progress; the bar will cut through a rotten or hollow core faster than solid wood.

Also pay attention to the chips; rotten wood will likely be a different color and texture.

Philbert

barnacles, grow on the bottom of boats and ships.. conks grow on the side of certain types of trees! looks like a half of a mushroom, but will not identify a true rotten tree! rotten or hollow will sound nothing alike when thumped with a hammer(maul, axe). aspen, popple are well known for "conks" !

recent wind storm blew down many trees where I've been cutting. you'd be surprised the number of trees that appeared healthy, yet had bases that were rotted...mostly ash trees but the base of the trees were ant infested.

those ants can do a number on the inside of a tree and you never even notice it. seems to me ants can do more damage than that EAB bug.

Someone recently taught me a 'trick': bore vertically through the trunk, at about the height that you would make the felling cut.

Pay attention to the resistance of the cut as you progress; the bar will cut through a rotten or hollow core faster than solid wood.

Also pay attention to the chips; rotten wood will likely be a different color and texture.

Philbert

^^^^^This FTW

recent wind storm blew down many trees where I've been cutting. you'd be surprised the number of trees that appeared healthy, yet had bases that were rotted...mostly ash trees but the base of the trees were ant infested.

those ants can do a number on the inside of a tree and you never even notice it. seems to me ants can do more damage than that ESB bug.

Trees can live a long time with ants in them. EAB will kill ash trees in short order.

Oak with a little rot in the bottom of the trunk is no big deal, still good firewood. Just throw the punky stuff when splitting. The hollows ones are generally sound.

those ants can do a number on the inside of a tree and you never even notice it. seems to me ants can do more damage than that ESB bug.

I had a maple blow down and block my driveway it had leaves on it and everything. I started cutting it up and it was hollow inside. Who knew... damn carpenter ants.

barnacles, grow on the bottom of boats and ships.. conks grow on the side of certain types of trees! looks like a half of a mushroom, but will not identify a true rotten tree! rotten or hollow will sound nothing alike when thumped with a hammer(maul, axe). aspen, popple are well known for "conks" !
words of wisdom... I need to find a boat if I'm searching for barnacles.
Thanks

Yes the conks are a sure sign an aspen is near the end. Cut my fair share of them!

I was going to echo what philbert said, do a bore cut and test for yourself!

I cut nearly every large aspen off my woodlot over the last few years and it was really a crapshoot as to which trees were solid. Some had an inch and a half sleeve of solid wood and the inside was rotted all the way up. Tree next to it was solid to the crown. Next tree was solid at the base and rotted ten feet up and the next one was rotted at the base and cleaned up 6 feet higher. Go figure!

Latest posts

Back