Holy ice branches Batman!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wow! I am very impressed with the power and destruction of a little ice! Tuesday we had a little bit of freezing rain, and for the small ammount we got, there's quite a bit of destruction. less than 1/4" of ice on trees and power lines. I cant imagine what other parts of the midwest and even into PA got from that nice little ice storm. Must be a terrible sight to see. I'd like to see some pics of tree damage in the bad hit areas!

January 2007 here in Missouri, and a few other states, we had about an inch of ice at one time. Just about everything looked like a bomb hit. I have a feeling in 2-3 years alot of trees will be needing harvested due to disease and rotting.

a few ice storm pics.....

I'd like to see some pics of tree damage in the bad hit areas!

These are from the mid-west ice storm about two months ago... These are pictures of our yards, and some neighbor yards.

http://icreek.com/stove/storm/

This picture is where I now have my stove, this was after the slab was poured, but before I had any wood stacked and piled.

ice_storm2_640.jpg

I too would like to see some of this more recent storm...

January 2007 here in Missouri, and a few other states, we had about an inch of ice at one time. Just about everything looked like a bomb hit. I have a feeling in 2-3 years alot of trees will be needing harvested due to disease and rotting.

You are absolutely right BSR,

We had the Great Ice Storm of 1998 up here in Maine. I remember moving an army cot into the kitchen by the cookstove. For two weeks we had no electric for water/heat. I was lucky I had access to an old well, but anyways regarding the tree's, I lost many many trees and even now there is evidence of at least 3 dead tree's I need to fell that died as a result of that ice.
attachment.php

An Inch of ice is hard to imagine! I never really thought about the after effects of the ice damage 2-3 years after the storm! Definatley some nasty stuff. it's amazing how the trees that don't break just bend down. thanks for the pics :cheers:

An Inch of ice is hard to imagine! I never really thought about the after effects of the ice damage 2-3 years after the storm! Definatley some nasty stuff. it's amazing how the trees that don't break just bend down. thanks for the pics :cheers:

yep you'd be amazed what damage it does too the trees. As I mentioned I still have 2-3 too fell from 10 yrs ago. It mostly effected evergreens/softwoods, tameracks, pine, spruce and fir in particular. The fir and the tamerack (best of the group) is decent firewood. :cheers:

Wow! I am very impressed with the power and destruction of a little ice! Tuesday we had a little bit of freezing rain, and for the small ammount we got, there's quite a bit of destruction. less than 1/4" of ice on trees and power lines. I cant imagine what other parts of the midwest and even into PA got from that nice little ice storm. Must be a terrible sight to see. I'd like to see some pics of tree damage in the bad hit areas!

On my 6 acres, I don't think we had any branches larger than 1.5 inches come down, but just up the road a piece you can see many 6 inch or larger branches down. I don't think the we had more than 1/4 to 5/16" of ice anywhere around us. I have a dead oak with a big branch hanging out over the transformer pole I half-expected to have taken out the transformer, but it's still up there. Power was only out for about 10 hours starting at 3:30 a.m. or so and coming back on around 1:30 p.m. sometime.

I live in Northern Ohio Geauga County and we had power out for about a day really wasn't too much damage. I went for a walk today up in the woods very minimal damage I expected a lot more.

I live in Northern Ohio Geauga County and we had power out for about a day really wasn't too much damage. I went for a walk today up in the woods very minimal damage I expected a lot more.

When I posted to this thread this morning I was wondering how you made out up there. My wife's clinic out on Rapids Rd was out of power most of the night Tuesday night and all day Wednesday.

Jeff,

I forgot that was you :) Anyway my buddy lives right on the end of rapids on 422 and we went up to mulligans where his girlfriend works and just as we got there power went out and took out the tv. We stood out in the yard and all over were big blue/green flashes :) It looked like another kind was coming from above :jawdrop:

Lets hope this weekend doesn't end up the same with the weather coming.

Matt

Back