Home made 72" chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey nice wood I have taken the liberty to lighten a couple of the pics up.

attachment.php

Need to find a bigger tree!

Shame to waste all that unused bar on such a small tree. 3 trees growing together would be preferable. Nice slab, pics, and keep up the good work!:clap: :jawdrop:

Jeezow....I don't mind someone attempting to make photos 'better', but in this instance the original poster had been kind enough to size the photos at an excellent size for dialup users....all at around 20k each, and then they get 'improved' ....back up to 250k? WTF is up with that? LOL! It's like people around here are allergic to dialup-friendly sized photos.

Anyways....nice (original) photos, nice chainsaw mill. I also would like to see/hear more details of the chainsaw mill.

Would it also be possible to get a close up of the aux. oiler? Looks interesting.

Mike

Y'all probably laugh when you see just how rigged this setup is. But, hey, it works. I'll take closeups of everything when I get home tonight.

The frame is made of left over unistrut I picked up off the job and miscellaneous steel I had laying around. The oiler is thinwall PVC pipe and fittings, a ball valve and some vinyl hose.

The only modifications I made to the bar was drill two holes near the power head. Actually, I had to grind them. I'm amazed how hard this GB bar is. I smoked a dozen drill bits of various hardnesses before I gave up and got the Dremel.

One problem I had with it was the guide would vibrate up and the cut would get thicker as you along. To solve this I drilled a hole through the post and stuck screw in it. To change thicknesses I just drill another hole. I don't intend to keep this rig as is for long. I have plans to scrap this one and build one similar to the GB mill. I wish I had seen that one first. Oh well...

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Y'all probably laugh when you see just how rigged this setup is. But, hey, it works. I'll take closeups of everything when I get home tonight.

The frame is made of left over unistrut I picked up off the job and miscellaneous steel I had laying around. The oiler is thinwall PVC pipe and fittings, a ball valve and some vinyl hose.

The only modifications I made to the bar was drill two holes near the power head. Actually, I had to grind them. I'm amazed how hard this GB bar is. I smoked a dozen drill bits of various hardnesses before I gave up and got the Dremel.

One problem I had with it was the guide would vibrate up and the cut would get thicker as you along. To solve this I drilled a hole through the post and stuck screw in it. To change thicknesses I just drill another hole. I don't intend to keep this rig as is for long. I have plans to scrap this one and build one similar to the GB mill. I wish I had seen that one first. Oh well...

That Superstrut is what I made my guides out of:

attachment.php

aggiewoodbutchr said:

I'm amazed how hard this GB bar is. I smoked a dozen drill bits of various hardnesses before I gave up and got the Dremel.

The trick is drilling at super slow speeds or the things heat up and actually become harder. I learned that one years back after going through a bunch of bits. Doh!

Full Skip said:
The trick is drilling at super slow speeds or the things heat up and actually become harder. I learned that one years back after going through a bunch of bits. Doh!

This was done on a drill press with it set at 300 rpm (lowest speed) and liberal amounts of cutting oil. Not to be impolite but I'm familiar with work hardening.

The alloy GB uses to make their "titanium" bars apparently is as hard or harder than HSS, cobalt and titanium alloy bits available at the borg. I could have ordered a carbide bit but I'm not that patient.

mill pics

Here's the requested photos of the mill. Again, this was rigged together from 99% free materials so it ain't pretty. When I get around to building v2.0 I'll be sure to post it up here.

Meanwhile, I need another 48+er to tear into. Any leads?:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Back