Home made boiler, new at posting here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secondary tubes look quite similar to those in my Quadra-Fire, definitely have not had a problem with them plugging. Only difference is that above my tubes there is a cement board like layer, about 1/2" thick, which is insulated by a ceramic blanket. The thought behind that is to insulate the burn tubes and get them hotter. I think you are onto the same idea putting fire brick on the top of your firebox. The one issue that jumps out at me is ash removal. Are you going to have to remove the grates every time you want to scoop the ashes out? I burn right on my firebrick, no grates, then just reach in and scoop the ash out. I certainly wouldn't want pull hot grates out once a week to make room for an ash scoop. Regardless of any critiques we have for you, the project looks great, you definitely have a talent many wish for.

shelbythedog:

thank you for the comment. my neighbors epa stove is similar to what you are talking about and it also does not have a grate, but my neighbor said he wished it did, that way it would be even better since the air would get at the back of the log pile. He said that when burns and fills his stove, usually towards the back remain logs that have not fully burnt up and he suspects that maybe if those back areas were raised with more air coming at them they would burn just like the front but he cant put a grate in his because it would take up too much space. The grate in my boiler is actually cut in half so i can lift and clean half at a time, grate was too big to get thru door opening anyways, so cut it in half and rested middle section on pipe. I dont know how much a pain it will be to clean, gotta wait for some fire but ill keep notes :).

My stove definitely burns front to back like you describe. But, the plus side of this is when you come back to reload, the wood toward the back of the stove that is less burned gets pulled forward and busted apart with the poker, making the hot coals you need to light off the next load of wood. Just my experience, I understand that everyone's heating needs/routine vary.

Additionally, don't worry about partial firebricks. My stove has several, as does my parent's ancient Wood Chuck, none show more wear than the full bricks.

Get that stove lit and give us a the full range report, already!

ok so basically your saying that I should probably also research a battery backup (UPS) that would supply enough electricity for say 1 hour in emergency situation to power the circulator pump correct? that was one of the reasons i selected the non electric air intake regulator so i would only have to concentrate on backup power for the circulator. furthermore by your reply, it actually sounds as if i should plan on having the circulator run at high speed (3 speed circulator) so that the water is continuously moving around?

For the back upon the circulator you just need to keep water flowing enough to carry heat away until the boiler cools down so the water does not go to steam. Trial and error/success will get you to your time and pump speeds. You can hear the water starting to boil in the unit before it becomes dangerous. I just wanted you to be aware of what can happen in a small capacity unit without water flow. CJ

Back