home made stove 1 month old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadgr03

Reaction score
home made stove 1 month old, have been keeping the house around 78 and my wife is happy.. have not added any water seems to be working well may post some pics lots of help on this web site... just thought i would share...

Good on ya for getting a stove going! We all like to see pictures of what guys are building, installing, etc. Welcome to the site.
Steveguy

Sounds like you are a happy guy. Always nice when you can heat your house for next to nothing. Pictures always make this bunch happy. Hint!!

2 week old!

Until we get the OP to post some pics, I've got some eye candy:

We got bored over the weekly layoff at work, plus we need an alternative to LP heat. I share an 8,000 sq.ft. section of a 33,000 sq.ft. building with a machinist. I do the mechanic work, together we pretty much do anything needed for our manufacturing plant and all associated divisions. SO, a couple weeks ago when it got cold up here, we emptied a 1000 gal LP tank in two weeks trying to heat the entire building. What better way for an alternative heat source than an out of date 500 gal LP tank. BTW, we've got unlimited supply of scrap lumber due to the nature of our business. As you can see in the second photo, we get into some pretty big jobs. We stretch, shorten, and convert things to our needs.
100_2223.jpg
100_2249.jpg
100_2225.jpg

Last edited:
1294632389.jpg picture by chadgr03 - Photobucket This is pic I have for now firebox is 1/2 " thick 36" round and about 44" long . Water jacket is 4x4x5 and is made out of 1/4 " .. Will hold about 330 or so gal of water. Ran last night on one load of dry wood for about 14 hours. I love it.. My dad already told me to start him one u guys are right its nice not to be paying Mr. Gas Man...

home made stove 1 month old, have been keeping the house around 78 and my wife is happy.. have not added any water seems to be working well may post some pics lots of help on this web site... just thought i would share...

1294632389.jpg picture by chadgr03 - Photobucket Here is one pic i have now will get more later. Fire box is 1/2'' thick 36" pipe 44" long water jacket is 4x4x5 made out of 1/4" will hold around 330 Gallons of water.. It was fun to build My dad already ordered one for me to build, well I guess he ordered me to build it!

Paintman,

Nice build you have completed! I am in the early stages of doing the same build! I am undecided on how to fill in the bottom of the tank. How did you take care of this matter?

Burning 1000 gallons of LP. My shop is smaller and I eat LP too with infra-red heaters it sucks and that why I'm doing the same thing.

How much of a dent is your heater doing in knocking the chill off?

Looks like you are in the process of stretching a truck out for a roll-back?

Thanks,

Tom

Paintman,

Nice build you have completed! I am in the early stages of doing the same build! I am undecided on how to fill in the bottom of the tank. How did you take care of this matter?

Burning 1000 gallons of LP. My shop is smaller and I eat LP too with infra-red heaters it sucks and that why I'm doing the same thing.

How much of a dent is your heater doing in knocking the chill off?

Looks like you are in the process of stretching a truck out for a roll-back?

Thanks,

Tom

100_2210640x480.jpg

About 6" below the door is the grate for the wood, which is the same height as the bottom seam around the tank. From that seam down is the ash collection, probably 50 gal. worth. We've got a trap door at the very bottom which we will empty the ashes from. Going on the 3rd week now and havn't need to empty it yet. As far as efficiency, we can get 5*F per hour when its running 650-700*. Over night we stack about 250-300lbs of wood (not lumber scraps) about 3' high inside the stove and the next morning, its still 50*F inside the shop. Our LP heater hasn't been on in 2 weeks (except the weekends) which is set for 45*F.

As for the yellow KW, it had a 30' rollback bed on it. We swapped it over to a '07 KW last spring (done two actually). Just now got that yellow truck sold, but part of the deal was we have to shorten it back and swap out the 4 bag air suspension for the 4 spring leaf laying to the side. The dump bed on that old International in the back is going on the yellow KW. Dude going from a C10 Cummins to a 3406 Cat. He'll be pleasantly surprised with the huge power increase.

not gonna let this thread die yet

Well, now that you seen our lil' stove, now you gotta see what it takes to feed the monster. First is the wood:
woodpile.jpg

We stuff about a third of this pallet in the stove each night to keep it going for 16 hrs:
stackedwood.jpg

And last but not least, the chainsaw..... 7' (seven foot bar) Stihl saw. 3-phase motor and all........can I say we've got the biggest chainsaw?
bigsaw.jpg
stihlhf121.jpg

Maybe more unless the OP chimes in....

Latest posts

Back