homelite 2100, Mac 125, stihl 084, would like your opinions and experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a "big ol saw" with a 36" bar. I'd be using it for large dead oaks and cutting stumps. I've been looking at used homelite 2100's and 750's, mac 125's stihl 084,075 and 075. It would be used a handfull of times each year so wieght isn't real critical. Which one would have the most power or cut the fastet? which one is the most bang for the buck? How about reliability and quality? Not lookinfg for brand wars but personal experience and thoughts, thanks

I would go for the 084 because of the parts are easy to get Even thow the 125 is probably the fastest and probably the heaviest But whatever you do dont get a 075 they BLOW and there SLOW

Ditto on the 084 Stihl.I have 2 125 Macs and one 2100s Homey.Both powerful saws but parts are rare.You may want to consider an 066/ms 660 Stihl .

Has anyone timed a good running 2100 and a 125 in the same log? Just curious.

MacDaddy said:
It would be a good race but i would still have to go with the 125 by a nose
Yea but yours are all souped up. :) Then again,I got a feeling somebody tweeked my 2100.Truth of the matter is that in a full day of bucking big wood with the large Mac,Stihl or Homey,I doubt you would tell much difference.Then again that is speculation on my part.

Got just about every saw you mentioned (except for the 750). Like Al and Mike said, stick with the 084. Tons of parts readily available.

Now, the 075 isn't that bad. Perks up quite a bit if you plug the governor valve in the carb. Just don't expect to every win any races. Also, there are even more parts out there for the 075 than for the 084.

Chris B.

MOE said:
I'm thinking of buying a "big ol saw" with a 36" bar. I'd be using it for large dead oaks and cutting stumps. I've been looking at used homelite 2100's and 750's, mac 125's stihl 084,075 and 075. ..........

I currently have all but the 075 and 084. I had some 084's but sold them. I have the 2100, 125, and 750. Another choice is the 090 which I have a few of. If it is just an occasional use then it really makes no difference. My question is what part on MN are you in that you can find all of those models locally ? This morning I was in South Dakota on a family trip and ran through southern Minnesota to pick up a saw from a AS member. Even though I had ran right at 1100 miles since last night I still would have traveled to an area that had that selection of saws. Whatever saws you do not buy I would be interested in especially the Homelites.

Bill

I live near St. Cloud, there really aren't a whole lot of these bigger saws around here. There are some big trees but not much logging. I would be shopping on the internet most likely.

MOE said:
I live near St. Cloud, there really aren't a whole lot of these bigger saws around here. There are some big trees but not much logging. I would be shopping on the internet most likely.
You could ,depending on the time of year,most likely get 2 Mac 125's for what an 084 would go for.Keep in mind that parts rarity.

Has anyone timed a good running 2100 and a 125 in the same log? Just curious.
I ran my stock sp125 against my super 2100 side by side with fresh 404 chains and 50" bars. The Mac was a bit stronger, though not a lot. The AV of the Mac and it's ergonomics felt much better than the 2100. The Homelite felt like an old truck with no power steering or brakes, the Mac like a modern car, easy to operate and smooth.

One not mentioned that's a powerhouse in my opinion is a homelite 1050 super. Dad's got one I run some doesn't spin fast but you can't stop it.

Good to see an old thread like this.

I love the old Homelites probably more than any of the older muscle saws, definitely a lot of character with a very distinct sound. A 2100 is an absolute monster, with an endless amount of torque. And for 6 cubes, can't beat the value of a 1050. They can definitely move some wood as well.

Latest posts

Back