Homelite 240 Another Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msb1766

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got the filter to stay down in the back bottom of the tank.
Now it some times starts only if it is fully choked, there are 3 carb adjustment screws one says Idle then there a two that say HI this is the top adjuster then there is LOW it is right below the Hi, the one that says Idle is forward if the other two.

How many turns out should each one be?

Or what else could be the problem?

Initial carb adjustment of low and high speed mixture screws is one turn open from being lightly seated. Adjust idle speed screw so engine idles just below clutch engagement speed (chain doesn't move). Adjust low mixture screw so engine accelerates smoothly. If necessary, readjust idle speed screw. To adjust high speed mixture screw, run saw at idle until engine is warm.
Turn high speed mixture needle to obtain optimum performance with saw under cutting load.

I actually went out and purchased one of those little tachs for keeping track of run duration and rpm.

Neat little things really. They cost about 25 dollars and this thing never makes it back into a drawer. The drawback is the rpm limitation for most. (10k) However my saws only range from 6 - 8k in the cut. It has proven to be a wonderful little device for me. Adjusting the H was always... an adventure.

Probably the one thing that it is best at is testing my clutch. The springs can weaken and engage prematurely. Had a saw that wouldn't tune in right. Turns out that it engaged at 2600 rpm. I was tuning by ear until then and after resolving that issue the saw fell right into line.

It was a stinker to get running before that as well, particularly when it was cold.

I've found other clutches in need of some attention that would engage at like 3200, same problem different symptom. Not what I would call a typical problem but it has earned it's keep on more than one occasion.

Now I just remember;
1) Make sure there is just over half a tank of fuel (cannot be over-stated)
2) Do not touch L or H until the saw has warmed up to operating temperature. (let idle for 2 full minutes)

Latest posts

Back